• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stroker- Engine kinda stalls at 4K RPM, any thoughts?

NHxj4x4

NAXJA Member #1132
Guys,

I'm 250mi into my 4.6L Stroker now, and the other day I had cause to give it a little more gas than I would have like to avoid something. Anyway, I was in 2nd, (AW4) and when the RPM's reached 3700 the engine just kinda fluttered, and didn't go anywhere, nor did she shift. Once I let off the throttle (after I shat myself I was so scared it broke) it was fine and it shifted into 3rd like normal. So later I went to a dead stop, and let it go into 2nd, and brought the RPM's up again. Same deal, once the engine hit around 3700 it just fluttered, more attentive now I could tell that it kinda feels and sounds like a car taching out at redline, and once again, it did not shift. I'm pretty concerned about this. Does anyone have any thoughts as to what could be causing this? I haven't tried it again since, I'm still in the infancy of the break-in period so I don't want to press my luck here. The engine runs really well, although it does not feel as powerful as I think it should. I must have added more horses that I am feeling, but who knows.

Help.

Todd

NHxj4x4 said:
Guys,

I'm 250mi into my 4.6L Stroker now, and the other day I had cause to give it a little more gas than I would have like to avoid something. Anyway, I was in 2nd, (AW4) and when the RPM's reached 3700 the engine just kinda fluttered, and didn't go anywhere, nor did she shift. Once I let off the throttle (after I shat myself I was so scared it broke) it was fine and it shifted into 3rd like normal. So later I went to a dead stop, and let it go into 2nd, and brought the RPM's up again. Same deal, once the engine hit around 3700 it just fluttered, more attentive now I could tell that it kinda feels and sounds like a car taching out at redline, and once again, it did not shift. I'm pretty concerned about this. Does anyone have any thoughts as to what could be causing this? I haven't tried it again since, I'm still in the infancy of the break-in period so I don't want to press my luck here. The engine runs really well, although it does not feel as powerful as I think it should. I must have added more horses that I am feeling, but who knows.

Help.

Todd

Sounds like the issue I have sometimes with my 4.0 WJ... but mine's definatly a tranny problem. Have you ruled that out? The WJ's got a lot crappier tranny then yours, but it's something to consider.
Billy

JeepFreak21 said:
Sounds like the issue I have sometimes with my 4.0 WJ... but mine's definatly a tranny problem. Have you ruled that out? The WJ's got a lot crappier tranny then yours, but it's something to consider.
Billy

Don't see why it would be, doesn't sound tranny related.

NHxj4x4 said:
Don't see why it would be, doesn't sound tranny related.

Is your timing set correctly?

Is your distributor in good shape?

Sounds like two different issues. The TV cable to the tranny sounds like it needs to be adjusted and the distributor sounds like it needs to be indexed.

When I first assembled and fired up my stroker I had a similar problem but it was at a lower rpm...about 2800 I think if I remember correctly. I had my distributor off a gear tooth. It fired up fine but would only rev so high before it started sputtering.

TV Cable old man?

I'll check the Disti, I figured it was fine since it runs really well. Would that affect overall performance as well? It also takes sometime to start it, maybe that also has something to do with it?

im gonna go with bad timing. or the dist. needs indexing

Bad timing, and Disti needs indexing......WTF is the difference here? I thought you just set the timing, and have a good day.....confused.

didnt mean to put the "or" in there. they are the same thing. the timing is advanced or retarded by indexing the dist.

olivedrabcj7 said:
didnt mean to put the "or" in there. they are the same thing. the timing is advanced or retarded by indexing the dist.

Whew...I was about to take everything I knew and throw it out the window.

So do you guys think that this would also play a role in the long starts, and somewhat poor performance?

The TV cable is the cable that many people erroneously call the kick down cable on the tranny. It hooks up to the throttle body and is activated by the accellerator pedal.

NHxj4x4 said:
Whew...I was about to take everything I knew and throw it out the window.

So do you guys think that this would also play a role in the long starts, and somewhat poor performance?

Yes, you need to index the dizzy. Follow trhe instructions on my webpage (you can miss out step 3 since the engine runs):

http://www.angelfire.com/my/fan/dist_index.html

NHxj4x4 said:
Yours is what I used to do it, I think I need to erase my line and start from scratch. So Dyno, do you think this may be why it doesn't feel "strokerish"? I have a lot in this thing, but it just doesn't feel it.
what gears ya runnin with those 35's?

NHxj4x4 said:
Yours is what I used to do it, I think I need to erase my line and start from scratch. So Dyno, do you think this may be why it doesn't feel "strokerish"? I have a lot in this thing, but it just doesn't feel it.

You're not going to feel it regardless, even if the engine is in perfect tune.

Strokers are over-rated. The only time my motor is worth it is at highway speed, I can pass beautifully without downshifting.

Offroad, at crawl speed, there is no difference.

Although, my engine is balanced better than the factories effort, so it does love teh revs a lot more than an OEM 4.0......

CRASH

NHxj4x4 said:
Way to depress a guy Crash =( we'll see how it feels when I re-do the timing.

I have 4.10's Rob.

Yes, I'm kicking myself for not doing a 5.0 or something more exotic like a Toyota 4.7 or a Ford 5.4.

Unfortunately, I wanted to go wheeling more than I wanted to fab any more on my complete Jeep build, so the cheap, easy way was the stroker.

CRASH

I sort of felt the same way with my stroker....not as "strokerish" as you would expect after hearing people like Dino speak of these incredible speed #'s.

What I did notice is a very touchy throttle response at low rpm's...seems quite a bit more than the stock 4.0L. I also started wrecking rear leaf springs due to axle wrap so there is some more power there somewhere as I ran 5 years with the same leafs and no problems with my 4.0L. Like was mentioned the passing power on the highway was much improved. Also, when towing my utility trailer the motor seems to pull the hills much easier than the 4.0L. If running a thick mud pit where I'd like some wheel speed I can use a higher gear go in slowly and the motor has the power to get the tires going where the 4.0L would have bogged down.

What it comes down to is a motor built for speed generally has a much higher torque curve than our strokers do...also, most of us have put strokers in off-road rigs that probably have another 500 lb in winches, skidplates, bumpers etc and combined with the energy absorbtion of the longer springs for the lift even with a stroker the lifted rigs probably won't be a quick as a stock XJ.

Back