• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

part (low) throttle choking

Fozzy_Bear

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all.

I have an 89 XJ that idles very well (considering it has a quarter million miles on it). It also runs smooth at both low and high speeds. All in all, a very nice running engine EXCEPT at very low throttle conditions. Between say, 2% and 8% throttle (just the weight of my foot on the peddle, or a little more) the engine chokes and tries to stall.

This makes pulling away from a stop a challange (not a BIG one) and it makes it look like I am some n00b who doesn't know how to work a clutch since I have to wind the motor higher than what seems appropriate for the situation.

I have basic mechanical skills, and can troubleshoot most engine issues, but this one involves something I have never run across. If it stubled at low throttle AND when Idleing it would make more sence to me; or if it idled OK, but choked under the peddle, I could start figuring that out. With it only choing until the throttle hits about 10%, I am stumped. So I'm hoping that it is something that is blatantly obvious to somebody who is a expert.

I put this on another forum and got a suggestion to check the tps. I'll be checking that this weekend. Anybody here have any ideas?

What you are describing can be caused by several things but most likely is a bad TPS, throttle position sensor. If you have a digital volt meter you can test it. If you do a search on TPS and test you should find the process.

firehazzard said:
does it do it when cold or hot? also what RPM is you idle set at.

The temp does not make a difference.

I do not have a tach (yet.... a new cluster is in my living room waiting to be installed), so I don't know what the idle is set to. Just guessing by ear, I would say probably about 600rpm.

Back