• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D30, Aussie Locker or Detroit Gearless, Why?

XJ99

NAXJA Forum User
Couldnt figure out how to make a poll so Just throw your answer below, and a comment or opinion would be greatly appreciated in helping me make my decision.

I'm stuck because I'v read great things about the detroit, but I'v also heard they have been discontinued due to literal explosions and combustions of the locker Itself, taking everything in the differential with It...The aussie I'v heard only good, nothing bad so far, everyone seems to love them...

It will be put in a 99XJ with 33's and yes 3.55's still (I know I need to re-gear) :lecture: , this locker will be for the D30, because I'd like to maintain the street ride DD manners in 2WD while being locked and loaded on the trail in 4WD, thanks, Josh
Btw I can get them both for $150 If that makes any difference :)

You'll want to regear at the same time because with 4.10 gears or lower gears(numerically higher), you'll need a new carrier. If you get a full fledged locker, you'll need 1 for the lower or higher gear sets. With a "lunch box" locker you can, however, swap it into a different carrier if you want to do the gears down the road though, just is better doing it together and being done with it.

Troy

nothing in the back at the time, not locking the back until I can afford a selectable locker, arb or such, and by then I hope I get rid of the 8.25 for a D44

Having replaced the Gearless that I broke quickly in the rear with an ARB, I decided I'd rather have a selectable in the frt. I didn't care for it as even on asphalt, I wanted the additional traction that I was used to with the Lockright. I broke the ARB also within a year and went back to the same used Lockright that I originally removed. It had around 50k miles of hard use before it broke, and then I changed to a 44 rr. So the moral of the story here is that I started with something simple and proven. I then wanted something a little quieter and maybe not so quiirky so the wife could drive it, and it broke. Then I figured, spend the big bucks and have the best of both worlds with the ARB, turned out that was a compromise in my case. And now, I've got a Detroit going in after finally breaking the Lockright. The auto lockers don't handle badly on the road. Its no more adjustment than when you alter the suspension significantly.

Aussie!! Ive been runnin mine with 35's in the front and love it. Works perfect, even in the snow and ice.

Aussie up front in my dana 30 with 31" BFG tires, DD 47 miles one way to work. The only time I hear or feel it is making the U turn into the parking lot...... And that is only if the radio is not on.

Aussie's Rock in my rig

No complaints love the traction

explorer said:
Having replaced the Gearless that I broke quickly in the rear with an ARB, I decided I'd rather have a selectable in the frt. I didn't care for it as even on asphalt, I wanted the additional traction that I was used to with the Lockright. I broke the ARB also within a year and went back to the same used Lockright that I originally removed. It had around 50k miles of hard use before it broke, and then I changed to a 44 rr. So the moral of the story here is that I started with something simple and proven. I then wanted something a little quieter and maybe not so quiirky so the wife could drive it, and it broke. Then I figured, spend the big bucks and have the best of both worlds with the ARB, turned out that was a compromise in my case. And now, I've got a Detroit going in after finally breaking the Lockright. The auto lockers don't handle badly on the road. Its no more adjustment than when you alter the suspension significantly.

Your problem was the GEARLESS was never designed for use in the rear. Front use only! I had mine in my D30 for 5 years runnign 33"s with perfect results. only ahve broke 10 sets of shafts though! LOL

xjnation said:
Your problem was the GEARLESS was never designed for use in the rear. Front use only! I had mine in my D30 for 5 years runnign 33"s with perfect results. only ahve broke 10 sets of shafts though! LOL

I'd agree, except for the fact that they built one to fit a D35, and apparently 44's and M20's from the literature I saw. In any case, the Lockright survived long term abuse with only two failures of the cross pin, the last one taking some other parts with it. The Gearless failed the second time I spun the tires on some dirty asphalt and hooked up coming out on to clean surface. The Lockright survived that same corner literally hundreds of times, and at much higher power than what broke the Gearless. Your front may have survived fine, but look around, it isn't available for any truck applications anymore as far as I can see. In theory, I liked it, and the operation was as smooth as anything I've ever driven, but thats pretty much useless if it doesn't hold up.

How did I know that would come up? However when I bought and installed the product, it was known that it was going in a Jeep TJ, they went so far as to ask wether it was ABS or not, just like with a Lockright or similar. I'm not sure if the Fords used different side gear dimensions depending on ABS or lack of, but I am sure that Tractech knew what the intended application of the one I bought was as I talked with them numerous times about when they would be available, and they made no mention of its unsuitability for a rear application. In fact, I believe the included installation video showed it being installed in a rear axle. So, are you aware of any front applications for a Model 20?

XJ99, if you can get the Gearless for significantly less than the Aussie, then go for it, otherwise I'd get the Aussie.

Back