• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Burnt WJ motor

the_bandit87

NAXJA Forum User
I was just wondering, I mentioned before that I was thinking of making a stroker from a 01 WJ engine that's at the junk yard. The WJ burnt from the back forward, and the flames must have got under the hood, but the scortch marks stop at the fender. All the PCV hoses and wiring under the hood is burnt off, and the batery is melted, but the engine still looks good, it still has paint on it ect. My question is, do you guys think that the fire could have done anything to the engine, and do you think the block is still good. Its been sitting in the WJ since last fall, but its the only stronger post-NVH block around here. I'll try to get a pic of the engine if I get out there again.

Another thing you may not realize with the WJ or other 2000? up blocks is that the water pump uses a different bolt pattern and inlet hose placement, and the accessories are positioned differently. The A/C comp. is on the lower left side and the alt. is on the upper right side. Not a big deal, but it would require some other changes to wire/ ac routing.

Thanks, that's good to know. The AC dosn't really mean much to me, because mine dosn't have AC, but the repositioned alternator, does it use a different alternator, or is it just moved. I won't be getting the engine for a long while any way. Its been there since last fall, they wanted $1000 for it then and refused to part it out. That was then. I called them today and they said the exact same thing. As far as I'm concerend, $1000 is way too much, considering that alot of parts like hoses and wireing is burned off, plus it sat in the weather for a year. All I want is the block and maybe the intake but they still won't part it out. So the search continues. I found a 7120 head though, which I'm going to get some time around the end of the week. Just curious but with the 7120 head, do you need to run the new coolant temperature sensor that mounts on the thermastat housing or can u use the Renix one that mounts in the head? Can you convert a renix engine over to run with the 91+ temp sensor mounted in the thermastat housing?

Back