• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

alternator question

Cavan806

NAXJA Forum User
I have a very strange noise coming from my engine when I hit the gas.. Its almost like a fluttering sound. I can only hear it when I am in the car with the windows up and I am pressing the gas pedal. I was thinking it was the alternator only becasue I was having an overcharging issues with it lately. I don't think I am loosing much power during acceleration, but it makes one hell of a weird noise like a fluttering. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I know its a little vauge but not really sure what else to say.

Thanks

If you are having an overcharging issue that might be your voltage regulator in your alternator. Mine is going bad. My volts will jump and all lights will get extremely bright. I will be replacing it soon. It is still under warranty. As far as the noise, I don't know what would cause it. Get a friend over and have them hit the gas while you are looking at the engine bay for the problem to occur. Need more info on your jeep too.

Kim.

Last edited:
For the fluttering sound, you might want to check the water pump and idler bearings, and make sure the belt is tight. But if it only can be detected from inside the cab with windows closed, you might also look at vacuum lines, etc. in the heater or cruise control. If it's a 97 or up, I think there's also some little vacuum doodad on the firewall that can make rattling or fluttering noises.

For the overcharging, it would help to know what year we're dealing with, and what the symptoms are. Also, did you measure voltage with a meter at the battery, or are you relying on the gauge?

1999 Classic, Sorry I should have said that in the 1st post. And yes I was basing this reading off of the gauge. Its weird I would go to the car and it wouldn't start then i would go out to it minutes later and it would start. Only the check engine light would come on as well as the ABS light. And the Battery meter would read 19+ in the red. Then it would even out.. It hasn't done this in two days. However the Noise I hear during acceleration is still there.

-Thanks

Cavan806 said:
1999 Classic, Sorry I should have said that in the 1st post. And yes I was basing this reading off of the gauge. Its weird I would go to the car and it wouldn't start then i would go out to it minutes later and it would start. Only the check engine light would come on as well as the ABS light. And the Battery meter would read 19+ in the red. Then it would even out.. It hasn't done this in two days. However the Noise I hear during acceleration is still there.

-Thanks

I think you might have a bad alternator. If it will start one minute then not the next. Not sure on that though. Having it jump into the red makes me think that the voltage regulator is bad and needs to be replaced. I just took mine off today and need to get a new one because the voltage regulator is bad and also a couple of broke pieces due to clay getting in there. Good luck.

Kim.

Cavan806 said:

-Thanks
Is the noise comming from your speakers?

Back