• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.25 axle bearings...

mikeny59

NAXJA Member #300
'Couple of year ago ordered everything to regear and tad f/r '98.

Never did, but like to install axle bearings in 8.25. Blister pack included two sets of bearings/races, two sizes, figured that kit covered maybe both C8.25 & D35.

Read a thread here suggesting that fsm doesn't mention that there's a snap ring involved in replacing 8.25. Two q's:

1) Do 8.25 axle bearings involve snap rings, and,

2) Is there one set of bearing/races involved, or two, as included in the blister pack.

thanks,

sv

Looking here at the 95 FSM section on the 8.25. The 8.25 uses a c-clip to retain the axle. You need to take the cover off, remove a pair of spider gears, and pull the c-clip. The axle will then slide right out. The seal is on the outside, and can be pried off. The bearing is pressed in. One bearing per side, no retainers, clips, rings, etc. You'll need some kind of puller to get it out, and a pusher to push it in. These should, as far as I know, be needle bearing units, so stop right there if you have something else in the kit.

Let me know if you get the bearing and seal out. I had no luck with a slide hammer.

I have the fsm, it's just that the blister pack came with two sets of timken needle bearings and races, one pair somewhat smaller than the other.

I have the puller, etc..., just thought maybe I ws missing something in the fsm.

thanks, advice truly appreciated...

sv

Back