• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fixing A Tire With A Hole Near The Sidewall

Quarterwave

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all,

Driving to work on Friday night I got out to hear a hisssss coming from my RRHS tire. Anyway, after a closer inspection, I noticed a 2 inch long screw stuck in the inside-side of the sidewall - just where the tread meets with the sidewall (FWIW, my tires are just Goodyear GS-A's 225's).

Normally, I'd prefer to just get a new tire, but these are relatively new and I was wondering if there's a way that I can patch it up so that it's safe to use. I tried a basic patch kit but b/c of the treadline which joins the sidewall, I can't seem to get a good tight fit for the patch.

I have the spare on at the moment, but, I'd like to work out something more permanent.... And yes, unfortunately, it's been a long month already, so I can't just go out and buy a new one until I get paid in a few more weeks....

Thanks in advance,
Quarterwave

If the hole is not ragged when you pull out the screw, you can put a patch on the inside of the tire. They make special very flexible sidewall patches. Do not plug the sidewall. The flexing will cause it to overheat and fail.

Thanks all,

Busted - I would have but it just wasn't an option for me unfortunately.... I bought the new rims and tires from a guy that sells complete liftkit and wheel/tire combos for Jeeps, and they were a set off a brand new Wrangler that he was working on....

wolfpackjeeper said:
Tire slime, stuff works wonders, and you dont need to un-mount the tire
I have to disagree... Tire slime/Fix-a-Flat is a temporary fix and a bad one at that.
One, and most importantly, the integrity of the tire is compromised.
Two, the tire is impossible to balance afterwards, so your tread won't last and may cause wobble.
Three, that stuff sucks to clean up when you get new tires.

The stuff does work, but it should only be used as a "no other alternative" option.

My $0.02

bustednutz said:
Should have bought the road hazzard insurance. I know its sometimes a little more, but in my experience its well worth it.
x2

I agree with Foto, I think the tire is ruined. You could try patching it on the inside or using the slime as a temporary fix but I wouldn't trust it. Take it to any reputable shop and I bet they won't touch it.

Thanks all, I think I'm going to have to scrap it - bummer. I checked out that Slime stuff and read that it's not mean't for side walls, and I've tried a regular patch but b/c of the ribs on the tyre around the location of the hole, the patch can't quite get a solid grip.

Put a patch on the inside and then run a tube in it. Just be sure it's a tube for radial tires (which most tubes are these days).

Just patch the thing. Find an old school tire shop that knows what's up, they'll fix it. I have patched countless threshold punctures and lots well down the sidewall. If the repair doesn't leak, and is done right, it will go many miles.

Not "recommended" but I ran as many as six sidewall plugs (very, very easy to put in) for my General Grabber MTs -- plugs in almost every tire! (MTs were very good tires for traction, extremely weak sidewalls!)

I wouldn't recommend running at very high speeds with it, but I had no problems. Plugs are very cheap and easy to install. I second the "spare duty" idea for it.

Back