• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Interior is hot

summitlt

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1990 MJ. 4.0 and AX-15. During normal driving it gets hot inside. Almost like the heat is on. The console is "warm" and my feet actually sweat from leaning against the tranny tunnel. Is this normal? If I get out the tranny is hot to the touch (almost cant keep my finger there) and the x-fer is a little cooler.

Is that right?

I would first check your tranny fluid and see what the level is. If it is low, fill it up and see if it helps cool it down a little. As already mentioned try changing the fluid and filter to see if the flow gets better to cool the tranny down. If it still runs hot than I would suggest a seperate tranny cooler.

Kim.

summitlt said:
Were talking about a Standard tranny here, not an auto.

Sorry about that summittlt. Should of looked closer. Check your fluid in the tranny and see if it is at level. If it is I would change it out and see if new fluid helps cool it down. Has it always been like this or just recently?

Kim.

I wonder if there was supposed to be some kind of a heat shield there. I don't know if there was supposed to be or not. My 85 wagoneer gets warm in that area but not that warm. I don't have any heat shield around that area. Good luck.

Kim

My 96 4.0 automatic does about the same thing. Mine gets hot mostly on the passenger side of the tranny hump.

Mine also seems to generally run pretty hot under the hood. Hot enough that after normal driving or just idling in the driveway it is uncomfortable to open the hood - your hands start to burn in the time it takes to get the hood propped open. Gauges read in the OK range, cooling fan cycles on and off fairly frequently. Anybody else have this problem? Anyobdy try the Royal Purple stuff http://www.royalpurple.com/prodsa/prpice.html?

The extra heat could be from your clutch slipping a little? A manual trany should not get hot, 120 deg but not much more. You should be able to put your hand on it for about 5 seconds.

Back