• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Final questions before ordering 3" lift

XJ4x4

NAXJA Forum User
Ill finally be ordering a 3" skyjacker kit real soon so I might as well try and get all my questions asked now so I can quit bothering everyone with them. And yeah I used the search option but it kept sayin somethin about the words were too long or somethin like that.
The victim: '88 4door XJ D30/35, 3.55's, 231 tcase, AW4 trans, 4.0...ect
Lift: 3" Skyjacker Standard. Comes with rear springs (or AAL), coils, track bar relocation bracket, lower CA's.

What will need to be modified to keep any major problems from popping up?
Will the driveline be outta whack? (its a DD)
I dont wanna trim and will will be using stock wheels, well not so stock because they are off a 2000 model XJ, where and how much rubbing will there be with 3" and 31" mt's?
Where do I relocate the front and rear brake lines to so I wont have to buy new lines right now?
And finally, how much change will there be in power and braking goin from 235's to 31x10's?

Last edited:
XJ4x4 said:
Ill finally be ordering a 3" skyjacker kit real soon so I might as well try and get all my questions asked now so I can quit bothering everyone with them. And yeah I used the search option but it kept sayin somethin about the words were too long or somethin like that.
The victim: '88 4door XJ D30/35, 3.55's, 231 tcase, AW4 trans, 4.0...ect
Lift: 3" Skyjacker Standard. Comes with rear springs (or AAL), coils, track bar relocation bracket, lower CA's.

What will need to be modified to keep any major problems from popping up?
Will the driveline be outta whack? (its a DD)
I dont wanna trim and will will be using stock wheels, well not so stock because they are off a 2000 model XJ, where and how much rubbing will there be with 3" and 31" mt's?
Where do I relocate the front and rear brake lines to so I wont have to buy new lines right now?
And finally, how much change will there be in power and braking goin from 235's to 31x10's?
If it is a High Pinion d30, I dont see any driveline problems, who knows, maybe you will need to get a t case drop. You will just have to see how it rides.

31x1050 should not rub or atleast not very bad. I ran 31x1150 MTs with minor trimming at first.

front brakelines should not be a problem, rear I would suggest getting stainless if you need to relocate it.

Hope this helps...

rock rash said:
If it is a High Pinion d30, I dont see any driveline problems, who knows, maybe you will need to get a t case drop. You will just have to see how it rides.

31x1050 should not rub or atleast not very bad. I ran 31x1150 MTs with minor trimming at first.

front brakelines should not be a problem, rear I would suggest getting stainless if you need to relocate it.

Hope this helps...

Um...........The 30 usually isn't the issue when lifting..........:dunno:

You can straighten the front lines for more length. A rear stainless line is only 30 bucks, so you might as well get one of those.

The 31x10.5s will rub on your control arms with stock wheels.

The tcase is up in the air, and every rig is different. But if you have an older rig and are only going to 3", you'll probably be fine.

And you can probably get a 3.5" Rubicon Super Ride with full packs for as much as that Skyjacker kit will run you............ :lecture:

Well thats what I'm kinda worryin about is if I go with a 3" AAL, will I get a full 3" lift?
Both RE and skyjacker have a AAL version of the lift's I was lookin at.

Yeah now that I think about it, a 3" sounds too much for what the jeep is used for. A new set of stock height springs with some 1.5" shackles and spacers is starting to sound good right about now with some 30x9.5's or 31x9.5's

I want a 3" kit but I wouldnt be putting it to its full potential since I barely wheel except for gettin into the deep woods during deer season. So all BS aside...
Would I be better off with either new stock height springs or just adding some spacers, shackles and 30x9.5's to what I have now since my jeep is %75 DD and %25 huntin' truck?

dont order a skyjacker kit... the control arms have urethene bushings which limit flex and cause squeeks plus with the way the lca mounts are you risk the chance of bending them. look around for other companies such as re, rustys, full traction, and you might find them for the same price maybe a few dollars more

XJ4x4 said:
Yeah now that I think about it, a 3" sounds too much for what the jeep is used for. A new set of stock height springs with some 1.5" shackles and spacers is starting to sound good right about now with some 30x9.5's or 31x9.5's

I want a 3" kit but I wouldnt be putting it to its full potential since I barely wheel except for gettin into the deep woods during deer season. So all BS aside...
Would I be better off with either new stock height springs or just adding some spacers, shackles and 30x9.5's to what I have now since my jeep is %75 DD and %25 huntin' truck?

Well it looks like you have come to your senses and realized what ya really need. Thats good, cause most people don't. So yeah, go for a BB and some nice 30" ATs, I prefer Revos, but BFGs are great as well.

As far as the BB, get one with a 2" AAL. A shackle will invert your stock springs given enough time, which ya don't want. I would look at the Rubicon 2" AAL BB and trade out the DTs for OME Shocks. You'll be very pleased with that setup.......... :lecture:

Think about it man...
Go with a 6" now - you will be glad you did...
No need for cutting to run your 31" tires and as time goes by you can always slap on a set of 35's.... Good Luck.. and let's see some photos when the job is done...

91 Jeep Project said:
Well it looks like you have come to your senses and realized what ya really need. Thats good, cause most people don't. So yeah, go for a BB and some nice 30" ATs, I prefer Revos, but BFGs are great as well.

As far as the BB, get one with a 2" AAL. A shackle will invert your stock springs given enough time, which ya don't want. I would look at the Rubicon 2" AAL BB and trade out the DTs for OME Shocks. You'll be very pleased with that setup.......... :lecture:

Thats what I was thinkin about doin since quadratec has a 2" AAL kit that comes with spacers, leaves and shocks along with a new rear brake line which I'm sure I wont need for a 2" lift.

As far as 30" AT's go, the BFG's, revo's and liberator AT's that walmart sell are atop my list. Probly gonna be the BFG's though.

If you are still considering the skyjacker kit I can tell you about it because I just put one on my 01 Cherokee. I have the same engine, transmission, transfer case, axles, and gears as you do but just a little newer. I got the kit that came with the new leafs not aal though. Don't know how much of a difference that'll make. The only modification I had to do was drilling the hole for the track bar relocation bracket, but that is all in the installation instructions. So I guess what I'm saying is there were no unexpected modifications. Everything else just bolted on. I fit 32's under it with no trimming and they never rub. I don't seem to be having any driveline problems. I too am using the stock wheels and the only problem I am having is that the stock wheels are not real wide and you have to keep the tire pressure pretty low to keep the tires from wearing in the middle. I wouldn't go any wider than 10.50. I had no problems with brake lines either. They weren't in the way and they were all long enough too stretch the extra 3 inches and still have some slack in them. The brakes are still capable of stopping the vehicle. I haven't had to lock mine up yet. The power loss is the only real problem I have, but it is tolerable. I was also told by many people that I could get a lift kit cheaper from somwhere else, but I am very satisfied with the skyjacker kit. My Jeep sits just right and looks great. It was worth the money and I'd get the same one If I had it to do over again. Only part I wouldnt wanna do over was breakin off all the bolt heads on the rear upper shock mounts. They were seized up real bad and that was pain. Holler back at me if you wanna see some pictures of the finished product or if I missed anything you wanna hear about.

Back