• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

advice for buggy project

THRASHER

NAXJA Forum User
rolled my xj last weekend, so I started to cut everything away and I am going to tube it out, this is the most current pic I have of the cutting, the doors and B pillar are gone since the picture....

139089.jpg

I trimmed the rear floor flush to the "frame rails", how should I keep the floor from seperating from the outside of the rail. I cut through the pinch seam that held them together, ground them flush and welded them together, but the material is so thin, even with a cage I think it will seperate while flexed.

anyone else out there trimmed the rear to the frame? how did you reattach the floor?

Kevin

this pic might give you a better idea of what I am talking about. I need to attach the section of the uni-frame that is closest to the tire back to the floor, and am wondering if anyone has just welded it and had it hold up, it seems like I would need to add some bracing and am looking for some ideas...

139139.jpg

Kevin

I see a lot more cutting to do.
Start by cutting out those rockers and welding in some 2X4X.188 box.
Plate your "frame" rails with some 3X3X.188.
Then tie your cage into the rockers and subframe.
That's what I did on mine.

thanks for the info, I am trying to get as much as the prep work done before I leave for school so I can start with tube work during the winter break....

I am also trying to find info on narrowing the front, I am moving the batterys to the back where the seats use to be, and I am putting in a SBC so I am going with a custom radiator setup so the overflow wont be a problem, I am just looking for some pics of XJ that have been narrowed, or some tips for doing it. I have seen an mj on PBB that was narrowed, but the owner didnt post it, so I cant hit him up with questions....

Kevin

May have been Me... Go to ArizonaXJ.com and look in the Gallery..
There's lots of step by step shots of my MJ being dove tailed front and rear.

look in the DaveO folder..

Both Matt and Jes have offered some great advice.

My new project is following the same lines, smashed 94XJ w 60k on the ticker.. Rear section is already chopped.. waiting on $$ for tube and 4x4 box steel. we are wrapping the rockers in the 4x4 and tieing the cage work into it. minimal frame plating to tie cage, rockers and unirails together.
This ones only gonna run 35's and a low cog.. The MJ is Getting 42's and 60's front and rear..

Back