• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Quick Bilstein Question

Kittrell

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Alright, I was all set to go with 5150s all the way around. Til' one of my buddies informed me that he is running the 50s up front and 5100s out back. He did not have much of an explination as to why, pretty much just said "thats how most people are setup." So I am curious if this is an actuality or if my buddy is nuts (entirely possible). Ordering 5150s in the 255/70 flavor with a 11.9" stroke. Any reason I should be getting the 12" 5100s for the rear??? I have read through all the 5150 discussions more than a few times and have not seen a single thing regarding this.................:dunno:

91 Jeep Project said:
Alright, I was all set to go with 5150s all the way around. Til' one of my buddies informed me that he is running the 50s up front and 5100s out back. He did not have much of an explination as to why, pretty much just said "thats how most people are setup." So I am curious if this is an actuality or if my buddy is nuts (entirely possible). Ordering 5150s in the 255/70 flavor with a 11.9" stroke. Any reason I should be getting the 12" 5100s for the rear??? I have read through all the 5150 discussions more than a few times and have not seen a single thing regarding this.................:dunno:

They're usually saving the money out back because the damping effect isn't that detrimental there. If people *have* to have them I always make sure that they aren't spending money on something they don't need. For most folks the 5125s are enough. The guys I see buying the 5150s are going at higher speeds and are really exercising their suspensions rapidly.

I haven't noticed much difference unless I change out my shocks in the front. When I had procomps in the front, I switched to the 5150's in the front, and left the rear alone. I felt the ride get much better, even though the rear had nothing to do with it. So, I would save money and buy something cheaper in the rear.

xjj33p3r said:
I haven't noticed much difference unless I change out my shocks in the front. When I had procomps in the front, I switched to the 5150's in the front, and left the rear alone. I felt the ride get much better, even though the rear had nothing to do with it. So, I would save money and buy something cheaper in the rear.

I noticed a HUGE higher-speed difference between the ES3000s and 5125s in the back of mine. ;) The back doesn't sway with these shocks and the suspension is allowed to do its job.

91 Jeep Project said:
Alright, so there is no huge difference other then to save some money. In which case I think I can cover the extra $40 to have 50s in the rear. Thanks Phil. I'll look into the 25s as well...............:cheers:

You're welcome. BTW, 5125s are commonly referred to as '5100s'. That's what we call them.

Hit me backchannel if you have any further questions. :)

Back