• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Suspension - Which route should I take?

Calata

NAXJA Forum User
Hello,

I have a hard decision to make before winter arrives and not sure which route to take.

First off, the Cherokee is driven 75% on the highway and 25% in the city. My goal is to run 235/70R15 tires ( BFG All Terrain T/A ). My current rear springs are sagging real bad. I want to change them, but here's my dilema. Do I go with upcountry rear springs and Bilsteins all around, or do I install a BDS 3" lift which comes with all new shocks and rear springs ?

I want to build an upstoppable vehicle in the snow, even on un-plowed roads. I don't plan on going off road since I live in NYC. I also don't want a hard ride where I'll feel every single road irregularity.

Thanks,
Nick

You won't need any lift whatsoever to run 235/70s. I ran 235/75R15s on mine while still stock\sagged with plenty of clearance. I'd say for your purposes, the UpCountry springs would be the better of your two options. Regular height springs would also work fine.

You don't need to lift it, 235s may rub on the LCAs at full turn with stock wheels. you can adjust the steering stops to prevent this.

I see no point in lifting it unless your wheelin, except the "cool factor".

Thanks for the replies guys. I figured the Bilsteins and new rear springs would cost about 1/2 of the BDS kit to begin with, so why not go for the lift. On the other hand, if drive line vibes and other problems would start, I'd rather not bother with a lift then.

As for rims, I'd like to get a set of AR Outlaws since they can't get as dirty due to brake dust. http://www.americanracing.com/wheel...61&desc=1-piece alloy, clear coated&section=S

What rim width is recommended for the 235s?

Thanks,
Nick

Back