• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

90 nonHO to 2k1 HO swap

deathwobblezj

NAXJA Forum User
so say ive got a 90XJ (nonHO, RENIX, single cat exhaust)
ive got my hand on a 2k1 4.0HO comeplete wiring, dash, CPU, exhaust, driveshafts, cables, charcoal canister etc.

will the 2k1 dash fit in my 90?
will the precat exhaust bolt up to my 90? (with obvious mods to 02 sensors)
think its worth 500 bucks to pick the stuff up
the 2k1 4.0 has 48000 miles on it.

I don't know if the new dash fits the earlier XJ (seems like it should - 2 bolts on the bottom corners, several machine screws along the windshield). Everything else should work - any exhaust will fit any heads, the exhaust port location and bolts are the same.

sweet thanks for the info :thumbsup:

what do you think about the wiring harness' i have the dash and engine as well as the tail lights and possibly some other stuff.

should i even bother checking compatability with the 2k1 engine to the 90 dash harness? or just rip it all out and start from the "tub" up.

I'll give you what I can here - this is not first hand knowledge...

Dash - Personaly I wouldn't bother, I like the earlier dash better, plus I'd imagine things wouldn't line up right (steering column, a pillers, and center console to name a few).

Engine fitment - Shouldn't be a problem, the XJ wasn't really changed much when you get to the guts.

Legalities - No problem, putting a newer model engine in.

Wiring - Your current Renix ECU is located in the cabin under the dash. The HO models have the ECU mounted in the engine bay. Get all wiring and bracketry you can and it should be real simple. If you're feeling real motivated you can remove the wiring for the engine from under the dash.

One point to think of is transmission control units. On late models it's built into the ECU if I recall, you'll have to do some poking around on this but may have to make a wiring loom for that.

Guages - Personally I would pick up a guage set from an HO model XJ ('91 - '96) and modify the wiring if necessary. The later guages use an electronic speedometer, I'm not sure if the engine controller sees that sensor, if it does you are going to either have to switch to an electric spedometer or use a cruise control unit's speed sensor (located behind the dash) and retain your mechanical speedometer (simply remove the electronic one from the later model guage cluster and put your mechanical one).

That's about what I can think of at the moment...

well hopefully ill be getting back into my ZJ as a DD and put this on the trail.
so im not too concerned about the speedo, plus its working now intermittently and ive just pretty much stopped watching it, just go with the flow so you dont get speeding tickets. :gag:

but ive got the ECU (is that the same as the "computer"?) and wiring harness as well as the dash assembly and gauge cluster and wiring harness. and the tail light wiring harness, the stuff to convert to the open cooling and other stuff that i can pick off of a 96XJ(country)

i guess well just have to see how it goes.

Last edited:
Just a thought - if they fit, you may want the underbody armor from the country, unless you already have skid plates installed. I think the country came with slightly revised suspension, too - maybe just the shocks, maybe nothing?

krakhedd said:
I think the country came with slightly revised suspension, too - maybe just the shocks, maybe nothing?

I think you may be getting confused with the "Upcountry" suspension package?

yea, im not sure if it is an upcountry or aftermarket, there is a 1/2" block in the rear and no spacer im suspecting its an AAL lift but thats a bit off topic.

i emailed that guy with the MJ hopefully hell get back to me soon.
if any of you have done a nonHO->HO swap id like to know if there is any major sensor or something that i wont have on my vehicle and the 2k1 harness will be needing to operate properly.

does anyone have 90XJ 96XJ or 2k1XJ FSMs on pdf?
id like to get all 3 if possible, moreso the 90 and 2k1... :wave:

GSequoia said:
One point to think of is transmission control units. On late models it's built into the ECU if I recall, you'll have to do some poking around on this but may have to make a wiring loom for that....

I do not think that is true. All XJ have a seprate Transmission computer for the AW4. The HO 4.0s use a different CPS sensor signal and need a different Tranny computer. I have a 98 XJ computer for the HO 4.0 if you need one. $50 its yours.

i may hit you up for it, however the guy i got the stuff from has that 96 i can pick over, but well have to see.

anyone know if i NEED to get a new coloum? it is the "non sentry key" harness/.
i think the 87-96 style might be a little smaller in dia. and maybe too long?

thanks bob that helps alot.

so how much do you think is a reasonable offer for
from a 97 XJ
steering coloumn(no airbag)
misc. dash pices
centerconsole
Tranny CPU
misc. sensors (ie, the ones to make replace the cable actuated speedo, not that i care to even have a speedo...)?

Back