• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Track Bar removal problem

3pinr

NAXJA Forum User
Hello

I'm trying to replace the front springs on my '96 XJ and so far have been unable to remove the track bar. The bolt on the axle mount turns but will not come out. The nut on the back did come off. I'm assuming the bolt is rusted into the metal bushing sleve. Anyone have any ideas on how to get this off without too much damage? Thanks

Doug

Can you get a hammer in there? I think I ran into the same problem on mine and tapped it out with the side of a ball peen.

Since the bolt turns it doesn't sound like it is rusted in there. I had a similar experience and it turned out to be the track bar was applying a side load to the bolt. Have someone move the steering wheel back and forth (small rotations) quickly while you pull on the bolt with some vicegrips. If you don't have an adjustable track bar, then you'll have to do the same thing to get the bolt back through. Hope that makes sense.

Back