• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

change from AMC to Chry.

What do you mean? The motor changed to the Chrysler instead of RENIX (Renault/AMC) electronics? It was late 1990, so first model year of Chrysler (the "high output" 4.0) was 91. I don't remember when the peugeot manual tranny was bid adieu but I think it was a year or so before that. Chrysler agreed to buy AMC in late 87, by it took a little time for it all to transfer and Chrysler to implement changes.

Kind of what I thought, thanks....someone told me I could have an AMC or Mopar 4.0, I told them it was a Renix thus AMC, they still said it could be either, its in a '90 so I say AMC/Renix

I have seen various dates attributed to the take-over by Chrysler. I purchased my '88 XJ new. It was ordered in late 1987 from AMC, it was delivered the last week of Januray, 1988, with all paperwork saying AMC, and by the time I took it in for a warranty problem (sometime in March or April) the warranty matters were being handled by Chrysler. So the actual take-over was in early 1988. But Chrysler didn't put major changes into the engineering until the 1991 models, which went into production in August of 1990 and hit the sales floor probably around Labor Day of 1990, when all the next year's models are released. Engineering-wise a 1990 XJ is an AMC/Renix, but in corporate terms it is a Chrysler.

The AMC Owners Club recognizes Jeep vehicles through 1988 as being AMC vehicles.

Mak, that's the date that is traditionally cited, but that's not when the change actually took place. I'll repeat: My 1988 Cherokee was delivered the last week of January, 1988, ALL paperwork was from AMC, and I had the AMC one year/12,000 mile warranty. By March or April, warranty claims were being handled by Chrysler. So regardless of what those articles say, the effective date of the take-over was approximately February of 1988.

For the old timers, when did it change from Rambler to AMC and when did they quit making washing machines (Kelvinator) :laugh3:

old_man said:
For the old timers, when did it change from Rambler to AMC and when did they quit making washing machines (Kelvinator) :laugh3:
Actually, Mr. President ... it didn't.

Rambler was the name of one of the sizes of cars manufactured by AMC (or American Motors Corporation). The larger cars way back in the early days were the Ambassadors. The American Motors Company was created in 1954 by the merger of Nash-Kelvinator and Hudson Motor Company. Sort of like Chrysler with the XJ, in 1955 and 1956 AMC produced cars that were basically the 1954 Nash, but some of them wore the Hudson badge. Don't remember exactly what they built in 1957, but they came out with an all-new Rambler (and Ambassador) line in 1958.

Don't have a clue when they stopped making washing machines, though. :dunno:

Back