• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

toyota 8.4/8.25 ?'s

METAL MONKEY

NAXJA Forum User
i'm picking up a toy axle this weekend from a '01 taco (4x2 non-trd, 30 spline shafts, 60"(60.5")wms) and I have been doing quite a bit of research on it. I still have some questions though, but first the things that i'm pretty sure about.

-toyota 8.4/8.25 still has a 8" ring, just a different housing
-can't swap 3rd member from earlier models (i.e.- no e-locker without major modification)
-need a 1310 adapter
-need to reflare or use adapters for brake lines (thread?)
-has drum brakes (size?)
-remount perches approximately 43.5"- 44" on center
-relocate shock mounts
-can do a disc conversion using kit from sky-manufacturing(all pro off road may have one, but don't remeber)
-use metric lug nuts, or change them over to standard.

now for what i'm not sure about.

-e-brake issue: i have a 5sp so i definitely need one. has anyone adapted the toy ebrakes or done away with them and gone to something totally different? someone mentioned swapping over 4wd hardware(from yota or xj?) to get rid of one cable, but then what?
-will i need to shorten the driveshaft?
-what size ubolts? tube diameter?
-will an Aussie locker fit? website lists applications for '95 and older, but not 01'.
-if Aussie won't work, which locker should i go with?(no money for ARB)

thant's all i can think of for now. any and all help would be appreciated.

thanks

The ebrake set up is the same as an XJ, if you have the double cable system. All you will need to do is to figure out a way to attach them to your current bracket.

You may will msot likely need to shorten the DS. The adapter adds length, and the axle has a longer pinion than any XJ axle.

Go to www.ttora.com and login in/register, and serach under my name, or on POR under AZXJ95 for the same topic.

There are aussie lockers, available, but not in the normal listing on their page. YOu also have the choice of a detroit(full), LR, powertrax, ARB and Kazuma LSD. For the money, go with a full detroit, or spend 2x the axles worth for an ARB($750).

ok, so i finally found gears for the axle,4.88's are very hard to find, and i'm getting everything together for the swap. only problem i have is, the driver's side brake line and 3 way is missing. stores around here don't carry metric fittings(don't know why), and the dealership needs very specific info about the taco it came from that i don't have at the moment. waiting for reply. the brake lines are different and the 3 ways are different from model to model. one has a proportioning valve, another doesn't, abs, etc...

anyways, my question is, should i just adapt the lines at the wheel cylinders and the 3 way and run them to an xj 3 way, or is the factory 3 way going to make that much of a difference. wouldn't think i'd need to proportioning valve.:dunno: one odd thing was while i was at napa, he pulled out a taco replacement wheel cylinder and a standard 3/16 fitting worked. it also threaded into the cylinder that is on the axle i have. is it a fluke that it worked, or is there a chance it has standard threads? only info i have found is that the fittings are 10mm x 1.00.

thx

Fuel90 said:
anyways, my question is, should i just adapt the lines at the wheel cylinders and the 3 way and run them to an xj 3 way, or is the factory 3 way going to make that much of a difference. wouldn't think i'd need to proportioning valve.:dunno: one odd thing was while i was at napa, he pulled out a taco replacement wheel cylinder and a standard 3/16 fitting worked. it also threaded into the cylinder that is on the axle i have. is it a fluke that it worked, or is there a chance it has standard threads? only info i have found is that the fittings are 10mm x 1.00.

thx

whts the diffrence if the it was a fluke or not
buy the 2 cylinders and run the XJ three way(unless he pulled the wrong cylinder!)
see how it works
if yoiu need the porp. vavle add it on..

Back