• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

33x12.50 vs 33x10.50

I run 33x10.50 on stock rims. For the most part I have liked this combination. I don't have flares, so they don't stick out the sides too far. They will be lighter than a 12.50.

The real downside of this combination would be the lack of a "bumper" on side obstacles.

Don't forget less contact area, therefor less traction.. :)

The pro's of the wider tire is that it will provide more protection for the body of the xj (they stick out farther and therefore provide more side protection.

Con's they throw more mud and debris outside of the wheel well. They also put more stress on ball joints and steering systems.

I have always been a fan of narrow tires, however. I really like the protection that the 33x12.5 gives me in the tight rutted trails that I run most of the time.

Michael

If you plan on wheeling, definitely go with the 12.5, the extra width truly helps you plant your tires where you want them in the rocks, and not get wedged in every little gap. The 2" doesn't seem like a big difference, but comparing the two side by side makes them look much larger.

thinner the tire...easier to flop over

i have been running 10.5s for 2yrs now. i wheel with a group of guys that run 12.5. i have never been left behind. i also run homemade rock rails that work well. i like them for the weight,gas milage and that they dont fling mud as bad.

cal said:
Don't forget less contact area, therefor less traction.. :)

Not nessasarilly true. smaller contact patch means more pressure per square inch. Here in the north east there is a trend for those that see more mud to run skinny, I prefer the wider tire. It really comes down to personal preference. There are issues as pointed out like more stress on components but if you are worried about extra stress either go with a 31 or get beefier axles. it really is not that hard to replace the bearings just expensive

Kurt

planoxj said:
thinner the tire...easier to flop over
bull shit!

back that up - please! i want to read this...

I switched to the 10.50 because my 12.50's pulled alot in the ruts on the highway. the 10.50 still pull but not as bad at all. THe 10.50's also do better in the snow and dont hydroplane as much. these were the bf goodrich all-trains

how much lift you got running the 33.10.5 15 BFG ATs Ya think a 3" with BB up to around 4.5 run them?

XJ_ranger said:
bull shit!

back that up - please! i want to read this...

Ehhh..........Well I'll throw my 2 cents in here. In the mountains of So.Cal. where
I'm at, we have lots of winding roads to and from trails.With my 33x10.50 radial swampers it could get REAL hairy at any kind of speed in corners, any kind of instant evasive manuever and I know I would have gone over.After switching to 33x12.50 MTR's its MUCH more stable now, much wider footprint than I had before.I can take corners at speed and not freak my passengers out.Haven't had a chance to get out to the hammers or Big Bear yet with the new MTR's, but on the road in my case skinnier was definately more tippy.

cloudswimmer said:
...With my 33x10.50 radial swampers it could get REAL hairy at any kind of speed in corners, ..... after switching to 33x12.50 MTR's its MUCH more stable now...

I think going to 33x10.5 MTR's would have had very simular results. :)

How's this for a twist.........285/75/16's. 33" tall and 11" wide......mmmmm, delicious.

Back