• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Red Line MT fluid...

red91

NAXJA Forum User
Good stuff for an AX-15 ? Saw it the other day in a local parts store and was suprised.

you tell me. Anyone run it in theirs ?

AX-5/15 needs a GL-3 lube, GL-3 has no sulphur.

--Matt

Redline MT-90 is great stuff for the AX-15.

It does not have sulphur additives and is safe for the synchro's in the AX-15 unlike most GL-5 gear lubes.

In the couple jeeps I've had I've tried standard GL-5 lube, various synthetic lubes and dealer GL-3 lube and the redline gave the best shifting of them all.

I have some MT 90 in my Dodge NV and they are fussy buggers about what kind of fluid to run. Cold, hot, it doesn't matter, the stuff works great.

red91inWA said:
Good stuff for an AX-15 ? Saw it the other day in a local parts store and was suprised.

you tell me. Anyone run it in theirs ?

It works beautifully for me. Its supposed to be gl3 and they advertise that it works with brass bearings/synchros- so, there you go. I also threw a bottle of lubeguard manual tranny stuff for good measure, that old box is real smooth now. Takes 3.3 quarts I believe. Say, how much did the shop want for it? You can get it online for under $8/qt. but then theres usually tha s&h fee.

bajacalal said:
It works beautifully for me. Its supposed to be gl3 and they advertise that it works with brass bearings/synchros- so, there you go. I also threw a bottle of lubeguard manual tranny stuff for good measure, that old box is real smooth now. Takes 3.3 quarts I believe. Say, how much did the shop want for it? You can get it online for under $8/qt. but then theres usually tha s&h fee.

it was about $7.50....but yeah...I'm thinking its worth every penny.

I was really suprised to find it ON SHELF at a local autoparts hut.

I had to look twice :D

egon said:
AX-5/15 needs a GL-3 lube, GL-3 has no sulphur.

--Matt

this is what I found odd.....damn service manual says that it is supposed to take GL-5...

the confusion continues...unless CHRYSLER messed up again :D

flexj said:
I have some MT 90 in my Dodge NV and they are fussy buggers about what kind of fluid to run. Cold, hot, it doesn't matter, the stuff works great.

When I went from MT-90 back to Castrol Syntorq in my NV, shifting improved and it got a LOT quieter.

Just a little feedback for NV4500 users.

I used to run MTL in my Peugot and loved it. Jes runs MTL or MT-90 in his AX-15 and loves it. Can't remember precisely which he runs, he'll chime in later, proly.

red91inWA said:
this is what I found odd.....damn service manual says that it is supposed to take GL-5...

the confusion continues...unless CHRYSLER messed up again :D
Chrysler did mess up, big time. They recommended GL5 in the service manuals AND the owner's manuals. The high sulfer content of the GL5 eats up the soft brass synchronizers in the AX5 and AX15 tranny. I've replaced many of these AisinWarner manual trannies due to jeepers running the wrong gear oil.

Mobil 1 syn. gear oil is the most common mistake.

It's a shame DC won't step up and make good on this major FUBAR deal.

Ever tried AMSOIL I run it in my AX-5 for over a year and it still shifts like a dream, and when its cold as hell it shifts smooth. I have not found anything better.

the redline stuff is gl4 but they said on the phone it can be used where a gl3 was meant to be, im having a tough time finding anything gl3 near me

Back