• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Frame repair Question

wulf711

NAXJA Forum User
has anyone replaced the front cross member/lower radiator support? It seems like it is a fairly straight forward cut and weld. I have an XJ with a little damage up front that is making it difficult to install my new radiator. Please if there is anyone out there with some experiance with it .... let me know. Oh to add, I have no welding experiance but I just one a bid on a mig welding set-up.... I know I am looking for trouble but I like the idea of playing with welding/fabrication....

Gabe

wulf711 said:
has anyone replaced the front cross member/lower radiator support? It seems like it is a fairly straight forward cut and weld. I have an XJ with a little damage up front that is making it difficult to install my new radiator. Please if there is anyone out there with some experiance with it .... let me know. Oh to add, I have no welding experiance but I just one a bid on a mig welding set-up.... I know I am looking for trouble but I like the idea of playing with welding/fabrication....

Gabe
You can by them new just drill the old spot welds out and install the new one with drill screws or pop rivets

After tearing my original out on a rock I replaced it by using a piece of 3x4 angle on the bottom half and let the 4 inch side lap under the frame , then used a 3x3 piece of angle on the top half and welded some tabs for the radiator to set on. It gave more clearance and now it can hammer rocks and not bend and I don't need a low hanging bumper to protect that area. It also stiffened up the front frame section alot. If your replacing the stock piece it's simple, just use a drill to drill out the spot welds, then remove the piece. Drill some holes in the new piece in about the same place as the spot welds, put the piece in place and fill the holes with a plug weld.

Back