• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Spark plugs are sparkin from the top...?

JstSurrender

NAXJA Forum User
Last night I replaced my fuel filter then was checking for vacuum leaks because my Jeep is running pretty poorly right now. As I was lookin around for any vacuum leaks I notice a spark plug arching from near the top of the boot. I'm plannig to simply replace the plugs and wires and I'm sure that will solve the issue. I was curious to the cause of the spark....any insight would be awesome..

Worn wires, most likely. Excessive gap/ worn plugs wouldn't help either. Don't cheap out on the wires, I've had a couple cheap sets do that brand new.

Save yourself some greif, just hit the dealer or go online and order the factory plugs, cap, rotor and wires. The wires come in two flavors, stock OEM and Mopar high performance. The Mopar high performance ones are fatter and heavier but about $10 cheaper, go figure. Also the factory ones fit, no trimming or figuring out what to do with the extra 8" they all seem to put on the aftermarket ones...
Don't bother with any fancy aftermarket superduperpreimumplatniumfivedollarpizzazdoubleyourmilageandhosepower gimmicks, the 4.0 is just very very happy with the stock champion copper plugs. Also pickup a tube of 'Tuneup grease' and use it on both ends of the wires, cap side and plug side.

So I'm trying to get the rotor off, but i'm having problems.... book says just pull it off, but uh, it seems to be on there pretty good. Should I just be pulling in off or is there a "button" or something I need to puch to release th rotor? man I feel dumb lol

~Scott

Alrighty...but so it just comes straight off then? I shall apply more force lol

...you're talkin about the rotor under the distributor cap right? it's just plastic...didn't know plastic rusted...

now I really feel dumb...

Can anyone tell me or provide a map for which plug wires goto which tower on the cap? Total newb thing todo..I just pulled the wires didn't think about it...

Last edited:
JstSurrender said:
Ok, I got the firing order so now I just need to get the rotor off...

Why did you need the firing order ? Normally when you replace a cap and wires you do it one wire at a time, not all at once..

I finally got the rotor off, I was basically up on top of the motor pullin that sucker, I nearly fell once it came off...I think it's the first time it's been replaced in at least 4 years but more I'm sure...

RichP said:
Why did you need the firing order ? Normally when you replace a cap and wires you do it one wire at a time, not all at once..

Normally when PEOPLE replace a cap and wires THEY do it one wire at a time, not all at once..

if you know what your doing, its much easier to rip it all off and re assemble it that way

tealcherokee said:
Normally when PEOPLE replace a cap and wires THEY do it one wire at a time, not all at once..

if you know what your doing, its much easier to rip it all off and re assemble it that way

Yeah, but you generally waste that time saved trying to get the correct length ones in the right spot and back in the correct space on the loom, at least for me. I generally do the plugs and wires together, one at a time into the new cap that I put on the distributor with the new rotor. That way I can get the correct length wire in the correct spot. Keeps me more organized and I don't have to refer to the fsm for the firing/wiring order. I guess It's a matter of how you were taught or learned. 6 of one 1/2 dozen of the other...

Back