• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pics of my 9" shave (no 56k)

Lucas

NAXJA Forum User
I took a few pics of what I did today.
Started off by cutting a slit into the bottom the housing, bolting in the third, looking around, removing the third, cutting a little, bolting in the third, looking around, removing the third, and so on. After about six rounds I was really sick of lugging the third around and got a little carried away with the cutting :rattle:
flipposcam024.jpg

flipposcam023.jpg

So I played around with some 1/4" plate and the brake, and came up with this:
flipposcam022.jpg

After a few test fits I tacked it in and welded her up after covering the third and bolting it in to prevent warping:
flipposcam025.jpg

I made a solid root pass for penetration, then passed over each weld two or three times to build up the valleys between plates to make sure it was leak proof, then spot welded any pinholes I came across. I also ran a few beads on the inside for good measure:
flipposcam030.jpg

It sucked trying to get the mig gun into the housing at the right angles.

Looks like this now:
flipposcam028.jpg

flipposcam029.jpg

It looks a LOT better with a coat of primer on it.
I ground down the welds in the valley so all the plates flow into each other. Should slide quite nicely.

The ring gear is a little less than 1/2" away from the 1/4" plate. Not sure if it's enough meat to protect the gear, so I'm thinking about bending a strap from the third member ring that wraps all the way up the axle housing.

Whatcha think?

Lucas said:
Whatcha think?

I think that you could've titled the thread a little differently, especially after showing your ass off to the entire club.

How about a before and after shot from far enough back that one can get an idea of how much you gained? It doesn't look to me like you really gained much clearance. However, I can't really tell from those pictures. It looks like a lot of work though! :) Jeff

Yea, I wish I had a before shots for perspective. The piece I cut out is wedge shaped. Depending on where you measure and what my pinion angle is, there is a maximum gain of around 2.5 inches. It's quite a bit.
Take a look at the firts pic with the 3d member ring cresting over. It isn't a straight on shot, but the amount of ring that is exposed is approximately how much clearance I gained toward the rear end of the housing.
It wasn't a ton of work, but it took a good six hours. What took the most time was trying to figure out how to cut/grind/bend the 1/4" plate.
Ill get some fully finished shots of it painted up.

Back