• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Primer

Boghog1

NAXJA Member #1221
Okay, about two years ago I painted my XJ orange using XO Rust, this summer I happened across a free can of Rustoleum Industrial water based (low voc) paint. well I took my time sanded it and shot i, well low and behold we get a rainstorm that night (yes I checked the weather first) and the paint ended up blistering and peeling down to the factory color. So Here I am one again sanding and getting ready to shoot it with Dupont Centari enamel. My question is what should I use for primer. I need something out of a spray bomb since time is scarce I only get a chance to sand for about an hour or two every couple of days. I don't want to leave the metal exposed and I need something compatable with automotive enamel. Will Rustoleum spray bombs work or should I look for something else. (I got the centari for free too so I don't want to blow a load of coin on this.

Kurt

I thought I read somewhere that Rustoleum was acrylic enamel and was compatible with other acrylic enamels. Check their web site, I think I read it there.

Thanks, looks like as long as I use the automotive one I should be okay.

I´ve had questionable results with Rustolium automotive primer, at best, it has a long drying time. Rustolium rusty metal primer has never lifted on me, seals well, but takes days to dry completely.
But I usually always return to Krylon, it dries fast and has given me few problems, but it doesn´t really seal well, moisture will eventually work it´s way through. Don´t really know if there is any real difference in the red and grey varieties, but I think the red/brown seems to work better. maybe just my imagination.
Really isn´t that big of a deal, to use a small job gun and buy two part, red sealer/primer. Clean up isn't really hard, when the gun is small enough to completely submerge in a can of solvent. You can run the solvent through a coffee filter and re use it.

Back