• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

help with takin my doors off

castleman123

NAXJA Forum User
i read on here that about takin my doors off, thought it sounded cool, so i started tryin to. its not as easy as it sounds. I read that one guy used a sawzall to cut the bottom part of the hinge off, but i couldnt get the sawzall to fit in there, and its hard to find anything that will fit in there good. any ideas?

I used a sawzall...

It was tough but the blade is flexible...

Kinda depends on your placement of the blade stroke when you start...

NO SAWALL!! There are 3 Torq bolts on each hinge. It's hard to get the ratchet in there, but just try to get at them without rounding the torq heads to bad. Remove all six bolts and the doors come right off.

barillms said:
NO SAWALL!! There are 3 Torq bolts on each hinge. It's hard to get the ratchet in there, but just try to get at them without rounding the torq heads to bad. Remove all six bolts and the doors come right off.
Yeah, then it'll be another 20 minutes when he wants to put them back on then it'll be another 20 minutes when he wants to take them back off then it'll be another 20 minutes when he wants to put them back on then it'll be another 20 minutes when he wants to take them back off then it'll be another 20 minutes when he wants to put them back on then it'll be another 20 minutes when he wants to take them back off then it'll be another 20 minutes when he wants to put them back on then it'll be another 20 minutes when he wants to take them back off.

Wait...

Torx head bolts?

Aw man... I shoulda done that...

Those come out real easy right?

and they'll line up perfectly every time right?

wow... Thanks for the tip

I took the doors off by unbolting them then cut the hinges without the doors in the way.It made it pretty easy.

Taking off the bolts is sometimes impossible. I rounded off every single one. I ended up using an angle grinder to cut off my hinges.

:wave: I used an air cut off wheel while the door was on to cut the hinge. I would have done the cutting with the doors off but those fawking bolt SUCK.
An air cut off wheel is bearly small enough to get in there, but you can do it!

ks92xj said:
I took the doors off by unbolting them then cut the hinges without the doors in the way.It made it pretty easy.
X2
unbolt, then sawzall. It takes a bit to get them lined up again but worth it.

Daryl

Gil BullyKatz said:
Wait...

Torx head bolts?

Aw man... I shoulda done that...

X3

No reason you cannot sawzall them without removing the door. I never touched my hinge bots to do mine. Just get a little creative with the sawzall....there is room, try a longer blade.

Unbolting sucks

Rev

I took a rear door off once and it was real pita to get it back aligned and once I did I realized that the crud on the plates and hinges kinda matched up

SO
before you remove the hinges take a can of spray paint (depending on the color of youi doors use a color that will
be distinguishable against the color of you door

paint the hinges ..let dry ... then remove the torx bolts kepping track of the placement ie upper or lower
once you have the doors off rebuild the hinges ..cut off the bottom parts
reinstall the hinges with the paint as a guide

woorked for me

just be presise when realighning them and wolla same as ya had before

as far as the pins ..they are pressed in at the factory one side is pressed from the top one from the bottom..

I had the luxury of having a shop press so removing the pins from the hinges that were pressed in from the bottom was a breeze..I guess you could use a hamer to get them out but youi take the cance of bending or mushrooming the pins ...
good luck
..)

ps I dint have my sawzall
so I has to improvise

I had no problem getting the Torx bolts out.....why do you think there are two holes in the hinge? For looks? Use a ratchet with about 12" or more of extension, and with the door closed just access the bolt from the fender.

As far as the pins, a little PB Blaster, and some heat (propane torch), my bench vise pressed it right out.

Gil BullyKatz said:

X4
re-aligning the hinges is about as fun as a colon-oscopy...

my junk has never been quite right since i reattached them after removing the pins.

drive/drill out the pins and replace with grade 8 hardware, it'll be much less of a headache in the end...

Back