• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Interior Change

uvaldetxj

NAXJA Forum User
My xj's interior is maroon. It's in good condition, but i'm planning on getting my jeep painted sometime soon. IMO maroon won't match anything other than white, black, or gray. Maybe not even gray. How hard would it be to replace a dash? Would you have to disconnect alot of things? Would it be alot of work? I have a spare xj in the back, with a tan interior. I plan on swapping dashes. The spare is a 4 door, and my current is a 2 door. I know i'm going to need to go to yards to get the interior panels, and folding front seats. My main concern is the dash. Have any of you done this?

87 xj 4.0 np231 d44 3.73

A friend and I just got done tearing apart a 2 door that he's parting out. I was actually suprised at how easy the dash was to take off, so it can't be any harder to replace I'm sure. If you look under the For Sale section here, look for PoSxJ's post. he's parting out a 2-door with gray interior. I helped him with the interior panels, so I can vouch that they are all in great condition. Going to a yard might be just as easy though...

I pulled the interior out of an MJ and the dash is the same as the XJ. 2 bolts at the column and 2 by the kick panel but you have to remove the lower dash panel, the plastic strip along the dash but the hardest part is disconnecting the guages and the vent hoses. None of it's too bad except some of the plugs and clips become brittle and easily broken.

thanks fellas, doesn't sound too hard to do. if anyone here knows of a write-up, please post the link. in the meantime i'm going to start looking myself.

So I'm looking at doing an interior change also. Gotta love that red color. Did you ever end up switching the interior and how'd it go?

Get the plastic paint and spray, buddie did that on his TJ and it looks nice and doesnt scratch off

IF you do pull the dash.....it would be an intelligent move to tag or mark where the electrical connectors and harnesses all go.........

Also check the foam sealing gasket for the heater to cowl, might as well replace it while you have it apart.Its a flimsey foam type that will prob fail and cause a leak.

Back