• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Still can't get bolt to turn in ds u joint assy

Mngreen

NAXJA Forum User
FIrst, thank you to everyone who posted earlier to give me tips for getting these confounded bolts out. Second, nothing has worked so far. I've tried heat, a hard lick or four with a hammer and punch, can't get them to turn at all. THese are the supposed 8mm bolts that are holding the rear of the front driveshaft to the cardan joint. I have about 2 inches of clearance to work with between the joint and the flange coming out of the transfer case. I am thinkg about trying to cut the bolt heads off, but I don't know if the bolt is threaded into both sides of the joint, are just the rear. If it is threaded all the way through both sides, removing the bolt head doesn't help. If it isn't, I could separate the two sides, them use a drill/bolt removal tool to back out the headless bolt. I don't want to try this without knowing (I really don't want to try it at all, but I am running out of options). Are there any other suggestions? Has anyone had this much trouble with these little bolts? The other tricky part is I can't find a wrench that fits the bolt head tightly. An 8mm is the closest, but it still has play and I have slightly rounded off one of the bolts trying this size. A 7mm is too small, a 5/16 fits about as closely as the 8mm. Could I try to pound a 1/4 on there? Don't have room for a socket at all. HELP!! (I haven't even gotten to the really fun part of changing out all three front u joints!) Thanks.

PB'Laster and let it sit. If you can get any of them to start, then you can bend the strap open enough to get the ujoint out and use the strap to force the bolt to move. (This is assuming you have the strap and not cast type)
I use a torch sometimes (when none will start) and cut the straps and ujoint to get it out. (not too much heat unless you plan to replace the tcase seal)
Other option is drop the tcase with shaft attached and have it out where you can work on it.

carnuck said:
PB'Laster and let it sit. If you can get any of them to start, then you can bend the strap open enough to get the ujoint out and use the strap to force the bolt to move. (This is assuming you have the strap and not cast type)
I use a torch sometimes (when none will start) and cut the straps and ujoint to get it out. (not too much heat unless you plan to replace the tcase seal)
Other option is drop the tcase with shaft attached and have it out where you can work on it.
No straps or casting he's having removing the cardian joint.

friend of mine stopped by with a siezed and stripped bolt head in there. What I did was grab a socket that I didn't mind cutting down and I cut it down to a point where it fit over the head and allowed for me to put on a ratchet. Then I took the 1/4" drive ratchet and found a piece of pipe that fit over the handle and I got them all looseened up.

Back