• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

my 44 has 3.07's??

tealcherokee

NAXJA Forum User
i just pulled the 44 out of my 89 parts jeep, the gears appear to be 43/14, or 3.07's, is this possible from the factory?

I've pulled probably 5-7 XJ D44s, only 1 was 3.73s, and it was a 4.0l 5 speed, but I've seen at least 4 other 4.0 5speeds with 3.07s.

who knows, AMC is a bit unpredictable, but you've got what you've got, and regardless of 3.07s or 3.73s, you need to regear it to 4.56/4.88 anyways, right ;)

Been there done that with a Dana 35. Its disappointing to find out after buying a 5-speed that the gearing is totally diffferent than the rest of the XJ world.

yardape said:
Been there done that with a Dana 35. Its disappointing to find out after buying a 5-speed that the gearing is totally diffferent than the rest of the XJ world.

2.5 and 2.8 with auto usually 4:10 sometimes 3:73

2.5 with 4 speed 3:54 usualy sometimes 3:73

4.0 with 5 speed 3:07 usually sometimes 3:73

4.0 with auto 3:54 almos always

This is a good rule of thumb....as far as jeep goes

xjnation said:
2.5 and 2.8 with auto usually 4:10 sometimes 3:73

2.5 with 4 speed 3:54 usualy sometimes 3:73

4.0 with 5 speed 3:07 usually sometimes 3:73

4.0 with auto 3:54 almos always

This is a good rule of thumb....as far as jeep goes

It depends on the year as well. For example '87 to '89 4.0L 5 speed was commonly 3.07, but after that went to 3.54.
2.5L with 5 speed in Comanche long box tow package often came with 4.56 but mostly 4.10. (depends on 2 or 4wd as well) XJs with the same were often 4.10, but were 3.73 more often.
To date there are no proven factory 4 cyls with D44 in the back (but people swap them in, so that doesn't mean you shouldn't look! <G>)

What really gets me is that the 5 speed used in the (AMC designed) 4 cyl Jeeps (except a few early T5s) was the AX-5 till now and not heavier duty, BUT the Dodge Dakota (with same motor) often came with AX-15! AND the AX-5 is actually rated stronger than the Peugeot BA 10/5! (the engineer that did the metric to standard conversion must've used the same chart that the early NASA Mars probe guys did. Remember the over shoot?)

Must be an east coast/west coast thing. Most I find here are 3.54 and I'm kicking myself for not having cash ready last summer when I passed one up because it was only 3.54 (I didn't feel like regearing at the time) Wouldn't mind finding a Model 20 with 3.73 or 4.10 tho. (tough to find in Seattle)

I am planning the 44 install later this summer and am still looking. I need a little improvement in low-end power, the boat I tow now is right at 3,000 pounds.

'93, 4.0 5-speed. stock, original owner

I believe I have the 8.25 (visual ID seems to indicate the Chrysler not the Dana35) with a 3.07 I believe, and it's obvious at take-off and up the ramp that I need help. But, I don't want to wreck my gas mileage.

Can anyone estimate the MPG reduction from the 3:07 to the 3:54?

What size tires? I ran 33" on my '87 MJ with 3.07 and it was tough on hills. (I had to downshift to 4th on the highway if I hit slight rises in the roadway at less than 60 mph) I got 25 mpg though , so it had it's purpose! <G> (I drove 300 miles to and from work each day on the freeway)
For a ramp, you could run lower gears, OR go to low range. If it's still tough, swap to a tcase with lower range ('91 up can use the NV241 OR rock lock 4:1 low range tcase from '03 up Rubicons or buy them new from www.jbconversions.com )

I know this might be hard to believe, but I don't know the exact height of my tires. They are slightly taller than what's recommended, Goodyear all terrain M&S. It's not a 4X4 anyway.

I am ready to do the rear axle anyway in preparation for the engine which I expect will come due over the next few years.

BrianB said:
It's not a 4X4 anyway.

That's your problem... when I used to tow boats with my XJ using 4-low was indispensable. Some of the places I backed the trailer into and yanked the boat out of were barely passable as launch sites. The extra traction and gear reduction makes all the difference, and will save your clutch & transmission.

carnuck said:
It depends on the year as well. For example '87 to '89 4.0L 5 speed was commonly 3.07, but after that went to 3.54.
2.5L with 5 speed in Comanche long box tow package often came with 4.56 but mostly 4.10. (depends on 2 or 4wd as well) XJs with the same were often 4.10, but were 3.73 more often.
To date there are no proven factory 4 cyls with D44 in the back (but people swap them in, so that doesn't mean you shouldn't look! <G>)

What really gets me is that the 5 speed used in the (AMC designed) 4 cyl Jeeps (except a few early T5s) was the AX-5 till now and not heavier duty, BUT the Dodge Dakota (with same motor) often came with AX-15! AND the AX-5 is actually rated stronger than the Peugeot BA 10/5! (the engineer that did the metric to standard conversion must've used the same chart that the early NASA Mars probe guys did. Remember the over shoot?)

I have a 90 dana 44 here now from an MJ with 3:07's never seen any from any year from a 5 speed 4.0 with 3:54's

Back