• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

R.E. adjustable control arms question

LBJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 87 XJ with a RE 3.5 superflex kit and adj. control arms. My question is when turning either way I hear popping sounds or creaking sounds from the control arms, is this normal ? Rechecked and everything is tight, also I just put the adj control arms on the lift has been on over a year with no noises. Any help always appreciated.

The adj. track bar was installed with the lift and was quiet before the control arms were added. It hasn't been aligned since I put the arms on.

Double check the jamb nuts.

xjmatt said:
I second this one. I have Rusty's Adj. arms and they did this exact same thing until I bought the additional jamb nuts and tightened them down.

Does Rusty actually make you pay extra for a jam nut? Unbelievable.'

LBJ, Do you have the RE gen 1 discos? If you do, I'll bet this is what is making the clunking noise. Mine rattle around like crazy.

Dirk Pitt said:
Does Rusty actually make you pay extra for a jam nut? Unbelievable.'

Yup. And at $20 a set I don't think they are all that cheap either. Fortunately I picked them up from a buddy who went long arm so I didn't pay much in the first place for the arms. So far they have taken the beating I've given them, just waiting to break them to replace them.

Back