• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

fan shroud

davidt

NAXJA Forum User
So whats the word, does the fan shroud help cooling or not? I don't have one and was wondering what your opinions were...

I have an XJ where the previous owner had removed the shroud, it developed an overheating problem sitting at idle when the weather warmed up. About $20 from the dealer (the other dealership in town wanted over $40.. .), anyhow, installed it, and the overheating problem went away. . .

The fan shroud increases the efficiency of the cooling fan by "ducting" the blades - making for a more direct draw of the cooling air through the fan and radiator, and making the fan effectively larger to the radiator (kinda like those little "turbo" fans for your desk - the shrouding increases the fan efficiency by a large percentage.

Whether you have an overheat problem or not without the shroud largely depends upon the condition of the fluid portion of the system - I've got a DD XJ with a fan shroud that runs nice and cool, and one without that runs just as cool. I keep the system maintained, and I'm usually good to go. YMMV

5-90

I totally agree.

My XJ doesn't have a shroud, and when I bought it the AC was also out. Now it's being repaired and I was adviced to install a shroud because without it the AC compressor seems to get too hot and sometimes the lines coming out of it can break (I had a broken line btw).

About the overheating problem, it's not really an issue if everything else is tip top in the cooling system, but knowing the 4.0, anybody would agree that it's far better to have too much cooling than too less and let the thermostat do the rest. :D

In my case, when I'm at idle, it gets over 210, but not really a lot, and when I turn on the aux fan (I have a switch for it), it just cools down in less than a minute.

Back