• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone ever have a bad Optima?

JohnX

Sarge
NAXJA Member
Mostly curious....I was wondering if anybody has ever run in to a "bad" Optima red top battery? How long have you had yours(years, miles)?

My question arises because I have always heard very good tales of Optimas...I have one that has been in my hands for about 4 years and is already in its second vehicle. BUT....I put one in my wife XJ one month ago(1000 miles) and it has a dead cell already. It was not dead from the start, but about a week ago I noticed the Jeep was cranking slow....So I figured it must be the starter...Turns out it was the brand new optima.

Anyway....how long has yours lasted?

I have one that I have had sense 2002 which sat on the floor until I put it in my rig almost a year ago. prior to this it was used in a tow tractor for about six months. I have left my lights on many of times but I have not had any problems with it.

I have never had any problems with my red top, drained it dead more times than i can remember, still going strong. However, I work at Advance Auto and we do get defective ones in every once in a while (couple of months). I believe in them though, only thing thats going in my xj for a long time.

I have run mine dead numerous times. Each time, trying to quick charge it had no effect, it wouldn't take more than 8-10 amps. However, putting it on a low amp trickle has always brought it back to life in a day or so. Its going on seven years old right now, and just recently I did this again. The open circuit voltage was down to about 9 volts or so. Charged it for about two days on 2 amp trickle and its fine. Not to say they don't go bad, but if its low on charge, try a low amp charge for extended time before giving up.

i actully had my yellow top die on me.. but i work at autozone so i just returned it under warranty and got a new one :)

My first Optima red top worked wonderfully, drained over and over and over again, driven rarely and it finally gave up the ghost partially (some time is would test good, sometimes not so good) it became unreliable. It happened just inside the warranty period. (4 years? can't remember) but of course I waited too long to take it in so I lost out on the free warranty replacement.

Do not know of anyone else who has ever had any issues with one.

Michael

explorer said:
if its low on charge, try a low amp charge for extended time before giving up.

It will start the Jeep on five cells at 10.6 volts...but it is too slow, that's why I checked it. I have a battery tester and it showed a dead cell.

No worry's, I'll get my battery guy to bring me a new one in the morning (warrantied of course).

Can't get a better battery for off-roading. I have beaten the crap out of several of these guys doing durability testing for chrylser. I kill standard plate-lead batteries with ease (plates collide under severe vibration), but the spiral cells never break or leak. Matter of fact, our electrical lab broke their max current draw machine when trying to test what this guy can actually put out (way above and beyond the manufacturer's rating).

So you didn't specify whether or not you tried trickle-charging it. I'd give that a try first.

ive had the big red top(1000 cranking amp) in my jeep for a few months, its been great soo far. it has a 3 year warrenty on it too. now i just need another one and an isolator so i can run duals and set up a welder.

kolby

After 5 years the Blue top marine battery I had gave up.
Wayne

Blix said:
So you didn't specify whether or not you tried trickle-charging it. I'd give that a try first.

Didn't try it, and don't want too. This battery is in a daily driver and if it lost a cell at one month old, what's to stop it from doing it again? I would rather just replace it while it is still free.

I have been going through 1 battery every 18 months since....

I started driving!

2 years ago I put in an Optima red-top(780 cca) and its still going strong. These Arizona summers are hell on batteries so we'll see how long it lasts. :)

I had a red top that sat on the ground my girlfriend was celaning out our utility room and put it on the ground and when i went to use it next it was dead.

Back