• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

uhg

JAGx1414

NAXJA Forum User
i searched but didnt find anything helpful.. this is a total newbie question but im 17 and still a newb.. oh well

so my jeep is a 98 5spd manual. when i bought the car i leanred how to drive manual with it. it got some wear on it but i learned quick. now it seems to drive diffrent. it seems it wont grab as easily anymore when letting the clutch out. is that the clutch disc going bad.. or the flywheel? or is it just the clutch going bad? how do you know when a clutch is going bad? my dad says it squeeks if the clutch disc isnt grabbing. when i let my clutch out it squeeks but it also squeks when its in nuetral and hit the gas. my jeep does have some squeeking after wheelin it. i think the squeeking is my rear wheels and my transfer case though. the clutch also seems to be more loose that it was when i first got my jeep. and the transfer case.. would that squeeking in the t-case have anything to do with it? sorry this question is a mess. thanks for any help -John

Last edited:
dude, welcome to the jeeper world....i used to own a 92 mj(sold it to my lil bro, it now sits in our driveway/for my recreational use/hopefully) anyway it had a 5spd in it and i learned on it to..if i was you i would drive it till it breaks, i would assume that the difference you feel is in your profiencency (spelling?) driving maybe not so much as something going bad.
on that note: we have now replaced the clutch on our 5spd 3 times and every time we knew it was going bad, i am not really sure how to explain it, but we did...just keep an eye on the clutch resevoir and make sure it stays full and you should be fine,,manuals tend to be pretty stout....so drive it....thats just my opinion from my expeirience if anyone knows anything better i am sure they will post up...good luck...

oh yea my 2000 xj squeeks alot to and it has an auto...
Maier

yea thats my plan drive it till it breaks. i wanna keep it as my daily driver/ ocasionaly wheelin vehicle for as long as i can till i get a new vehicle or something. then im planing on just turning it into a complete beater. but yea.. ..is there a place on the t-case to put a grease gun to it? ill take a look.

If your clutch is going it'll slip - you'll try to accelerate away and it'll rev higher than it should do for the speed you're going. A slipping clutch is really, really noticeable. Jeep clutches are pretty bombproof, and you shouldn't need to swap one out for a very long time unless you ride the clutch mercilessly, and you'd smell that, for sure! With a torquey engine like the ones in jeeps, you'll need to use next to no clutch when moving away - I regularly ghost off the line without even putting my foot on the accelerator, so you've got absolutely no excuse! :)

Is it the sepentine belt that's squealing by any chance? That makes a right racket if it's slipping. Do a search in here using "serpentine" and "deflection", and you should find how to test for the correct tension.

As an aside, how TF do you insure it? In the UK insurance is so prohibitively expensive that it costs more than the car to insure anything vaguely powerful! I wasn't insurable on my Dad's Saab Turbo until I was 30!

JAGx1414 said:
yea thats my plan drive it till it breaks. i wanna keep it as my daily driver/ ocasionaly wheelin vehicle for as long as i can till i get a new vehicle or something. then im planing on just turning it into a complete beater. but yea.. ..is there a place on the t-case to put a grease gun to it? ill take a look.
There's a big plug on the back side, it should be full to the top with Dextron III ATF, no grease.

Chancer said:
As an aside, how TF do you insure it? In the UK insurance is so prohibitively expensive that it costs more than the car to insure anything vaguely powerful! I wasn't insurable on my Dad's Saab Turbo until I was 30!

thanks man. ummm you live in the uk? im insured with my jeep.. i dont get what youre asking

Chancer, whats the deal with European countries anyway? Its like theres a big conspiracy going on to keep people from owning cars.

Youre going to hate this, I pay around $40/month for [civil liability only] insurance. 20-40 more for comprehensive coverage. Seeing as how I live in the California high-price zone and I'm under 25, its probably a bit high. Some states don't even require insurance. It also depends much more on your license record, mines clean. But yeah, an XJ is seen as a respectable car for a young person. I wouldn't even mention the turbo to any insurance company. Just call em up and say yeah I have a Saab- what kind? Oh- a sedan.

As far as clutches, mine was shot when I got the xj, I haven't replaced it since that first time 60000, miles later. It had 89K, and it wasn't the original- it was he company car for the female secretary so there you go... Its noticeable, it would slip badly going up my steep street and probably will give you time to repair it without becoming inoperable. So just drive until it needs a clutch. If you treat it right, the new one will last a long time.

Last edited:
well its not slipping its seems to be fine.. i am just over caustious i guess ahah. yea i put stuff in the t-case and its not squeeking. yea i believe drive it till it breaks but keep things maintained as much as i can thanks guys

bajacalal said:
Chancer, whats the deal with European countries anyway? Its like theres a big conspiracy going on to keep people from owning cars.

Youre going to hate this, I pay around $40/month for [civil liability only] insurance. 20-40 more for comprehensive coverage. Seeing as how I live in the California high-price zone and I'm under 25, its probably a bit high. Some states don't even require insurance. It also depends much more on your license record, mines clean. But yeah, an XJ is seen as a respectable car for a young person. I wouldn't even mention the turbo to any insurance company. Just call em up and say yeah I have a Saab- what kind? Oh- a sedan.
I reckon I've got a good deal on my insurance - £360 for comprehensive cover, including a 60% no claims discount (protected) and recovery to boot. At today's rates, times that by 1.74 to get it in dollars. Cars over here are put into insurance groups according to engine size, new value, power, repair costs etc - the lower the group, the less you pay. Cherokees are group 14 of 20 (IIRC), with anything over group 13 being pretty much uninsurable for people under 25. I can see the logic, in that it's better to get kids into slower little cars, but it's prohibitive - anyone new to owning a car, with no No Claims Discount is looking at an insurance bill of about a grand! It staggered me watching Overhaulin the other night that one bloke had had this Olds muscle car since he passed his test at 16 - it just wouldn't happen over here unless you were a footballer or something! Oops, sorry for the hijack. :)

Back