• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NAPA wants $209 for modine radiator....

mikeny59

NAXJA Member #300
for '98 4.0 w/ac.

Is this in line?

Just installed their fan clutch and w/p and couldn't be happier.

thanks,

sv

Check your local radiator shop. A buddy just got a Modine 2-row for $170.

There is a big spread out there on prices, I bought a modine for my S10, $220, and two weeks later needed on for the wifes chevy. The place I bought the modine from for mine did not have one in stock so I got on the phone to locate one, on a saturday, found one in stock at another parts store 20 min away and it was $160, asked them the price of the one for my S10, $160. Grrrrr, been working on being an educated consumer ever since..and I clip coupons too now.

Almost forgot, bought a rad for for my 98XJ when I was doing the hoses and water pump ~5 weeks ago, $135.

Take the NAPA part number and put an 18 in front of it to get the Performance rad number (cheaper line) or call 1-800-radiator and ask for the NAXJA internet discount (My 3 row was $130 to my doorstep just 3 months before I started working for NAPA)

I second Radiatorbarn.com. Got a 3 core CSF all metal rad. for less then $140 shipping included. Been running it 2 months now in very hot weather with no problems

For my '99, radiatorbarn.com has a 3-row for $140.15 shipped. I'm just waiting until I need it to order it, but that's by far the best price I've seen.

I'm on my second GDI, the first one delivered about three years ago rattled like heck when delivered, sent it back, replacement somewhat less quiet but held up fine, even though both filler necks were cocked about 5*-10*'s.

Just installed new fac. 'stat, NAPA w/p and f/c, less prestone in mix (40/60) and water wetter made a noticable reduction in temps. Hoses on order from dealer, like to replace bearings on idler pulleys, but that's another thread.

Last thing is the radiator, found a thread on radiators from a NAXJA search, many posters mentioned that Modine is now part of GDI (quality waning further), and the parts guy at NAPA said the Modine has plastic tanks. The thread also mentioned that there are all-metal Modines to be found.

Through process of elimination was leaning towards CSF, but would like to find the former if possible.

Does anyone have any more knowledge on the Modine plastic/metal tank question?!?

thanks,

sv

RadiatorBarn it is...

I'm assuming out of the two they offer the three row is the CSF, will ask and go for it.

Thanks all.

BTW, off topic a bit, went to the dealer to pick something up, asked if the sealed bearings in the idler pulleys were servicable, showed me the monitor, exploded view answered no.

Picked up both for about $50 ish, just touching on a topic I've not seen discussed.

sv

I guess I am lucky, there is a Modine Distributor in town. I walked in the door and paid $116 for new radiator. I have a 88 XJ so it is a different style but figure how things are priced you'd pay the same price within 5 or 10 bucks of what I paid. My modine came with metal tanks

Modine recently sold off it's aftermarket distribution system, here is the new company's web site http://www.pliii.com/about_locations.htm look to see if there is one of the distributors close to you.

rapom said:
I second Radiatorbarn.com. Got a 3 core CSF all metal rad. for less then $140 shipping included. Been running it 2 months now in very hot weather with no problems

the "I's" have it. Get a 3-core regardless of where you get it from. You'll also end any overheating problems

Highmiles, the modine distributor here in town must use different rules. If you have the money they will sell you stuff. They must of figured out there is money to be made in selling to the do-it-yourselfer who knows enough to search them out vs the parts store.

In the past month my buddy went in the modine place and picked up a compressor, receiver, and other hard parts to renew his late 80s GM vehicle.

Back when I got my radiator, 18 months ago, I called them to see if they had it in stock. I told them I'd be by after work and they did not ask for my name. I walked in and here the box with my new radiator sitting next to the counter, now I call that service!

Wish everyone could have the experience I had with this distributor.

Now that I have run a OEM 2 row (1.0 inch thick) radiator, GDI 3 row (1.5 inch thick) radiator and a Modine 2 row (1.5 inch thick) radiator in my 88 XJ I am sold on the Modine.

I know designing radiators is a black art and the answer to larger tubes vs more rows of tubes will never be solved. I was impressed in December when driving in 10 degree weather the temp gauge would bounce from 180F to 205F and back ever 90 seconds to 2 minutes. That told me I have plenty of cooling capacity. I have driven the XJ before in temps like that but the OEM and GDI but never saw the temp gauge moving like that.

mikeny59 in the end go with the radiator you feel comfortable with cause you will be the one who has to live with the good & bad results of the decision.

Now that I have run a OEM 2 row (1.0 inch thick) radiator, GDI 3 row (1.5 inch thick) radiator and a Modine 2 row (1.5 inch thick) radiator in my 88 XJ I am sold on the Modine.

I know designing radiators is a black art and the answer to larger tubes vs more rows of tubes will never be solved. I was impressed in December when driving in 10 degree weather the temp gauge would bounce from 180F to 205F and back ever 90 seconds to 2 minutes. That told me I have plenty of cooling capacity. I have driven the XJ before in temps like that but the OEM and GDI but never saw the temp gauge moving like that.

mikeny59 in the end go with the radiator you feel comfortable with cause you will be the one who has to live with the good & bad results of the decision.[/QUOTE]

I would think living in Alabama, it wouldn't get down to 10 degrees; but anyway , will the 2-row modine keep it cool sitting stationary in 96 degree weather? If so, then IT IS as good as the 3-core GDI.

partsbill said:
the "I's" have it. Get a 3-core regardless of where you get it from. You'll also end any overheating problems

3 core vs 2 core is not cut and dried, you need to look at the inside diameter of the cores themselves, the 2 core modine flows more than the 3 core GDI, the two cores on the modine combined are LARGER than the 3 cores on the GDI combined so don't go by 3 core is always better than 2 core...

partsbill, the place I found the temperature fluctuations was on US 41 between Terre Haute, IND and Chicago, IL. I was driving along with the flow of traffic, it was the Dec 24, 2004, dry pavement, the wheel wells full of packed ice and the radio was reporting 10F. So don't let home location throw you off on where I operate my XJ. You can find me all over the midwest and the south.

Radiator design is a black art, there are situations where a 3 row will work better than a 2 row.. and then other situations it is the opposite. LIke I said go with what you feel comfortable with.

RichP said:
3 core vs 2 core is not cut and dried, you need to look at the inside diameter of the cores themselves, the 2 core modine flows more than the 3 core GDI, the two cores on the modine combined are LARGER than the 3 cores on the GDI combined so don't go by 3 core is always better than 2 core...

Ok, I'll agree that sometimes 2-core radiators flow more than 3-core, but do you follow what I said that if he bought a 3-core that his overheating concerns now and in the future would be solved? Geeeees, didn't mean to stomp on any toes. I have had my share of overheating woes and found the 3-core to me my savior. And I even work for the "Jeep stealership".

To MIKENY59:

Sorry I have just joined this very interesting group and did not saw your post about the bearing in the idler pulley, well for the benefit of others who might read it the bearing in the idler pulley IS EASILY REPLACEABLE, I've done it with no problem at all its just a standard sealed METRIC ball bearing I really don't remember the exact number but it should be a 6203-2RS or a 6204-2RS bearing the first one is 17 mm shaft diameter/40 mm out side diam/ 12 mm thick and the second one is 20shaft/47 exterior/14 mm thick, the 2RS means it has double flexible seals one on each side,

The first carries a Grainger number 6LO25 ($5.70) and the second 6LO26 ($7.15) but you can get it cheaper at your local bearing dealer.

SACEM

Back