• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

grounding questions

ASJackman

NAXJA Forum User
i've searched this, but can't find the locations. i know there's a ground between the battery and the block, and a grounding strap from the cylinder head to the firewall. are there any other areas?

i'm trying to start my rebuilt engine, but the gauge is reading 9volts, and i just installed a new battery. it won't start, i'm guessing it's a problem with a ground somewhere. thanks.

Grounds -
There is the main ground from battery B- to the engine block.
There is the "ground strap" from the rear of the cylinder head to the firewall (and this thing should be thrown away out of hand, and replaced with a cable rather than another open braid. This is usually the first ground to fail, as the weave gets contaminated.)
There are a couple "accessory" grounds in the engine bay in the fenderwells - but I can't tell you precisely where. They're pretty easy to spot, tho.

I often recommend finding all grounds, cleaning the lugs, removing paint from a small patch (a little less than a postage stamp) of metal, and reassembling. Coat with Ox-Gard just prior to assembly. Do this on EVERY ground - especially the strap on the firewall!

Also, while you're making/getting cables, you might want a small cable, about the same gage as the battery cables, that you can run from B- to the sheetmetal somewhere handy. This will improve things markedly - I don't list them on my available cables, since everyone wants to put them somewhere different. You want one? I'll make it to specs - tell me what length you want and what lugs.

Check to make sure the starter mounting area is clean, and that the patch where the engine ground attaches is also clean. Obvious, but also often forgotten...

5-90

I upgraded all of my ground wires to #4 and #2 guage wire (from the alternator to the main junction) and also ran a ground wire from the back of the alternator to the frame. There is a threaded stud hole just for this purpose on the back of all GM style alternators. Use it. . . . it works! My charging voltage went up two amps after I did this and it doesn't drop as much now when I run other accessories and A/C.

Back