• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Howling grinding noise from front

dakotus

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys

Ever since my first wheeling trip back in december, ive had this howling/grinding noise coming from the front area in my Jeep. I thought it was the diff fluid contamination, but I changed the fluid many months back and that solved nothing. I also thought it might be my front drive shaft, but I removed it last night and the noise is still there. I also changed both the front wheel bearings, and that also did nothing.

I think its coming from my front diff. The noise is kind of like a howling and grinding noise combined. Its kind of hard to describe. It "seems" to make the noise for every rotation of the tire. The noise is there on acceleration, coast, and deceleration, with L/R turns, and going straight. I can grab the yoke and move it rotationally about 1/2 inch in either direction. I have not checked yet to see if it moves in and out of the diff though.

Could it be my pinion bearings? Carrier bearings?

any ideas of what to look for next? Can the pinion bearing be changed pretty easily without resetting the gears?

changed diff fluid
changed wheel bearings
removed front ds.........noise still there.

any suggestions?

1/2 inch is way to much backlash. The gears will have to be reset with any bearing replacment.
You may luck out though, the pinion nut could have come loose. Check that ASP and you could save some real money.

OK ill check that.

Also, if I test for movement, the yoke should not move in and out of the diff right? I will check for that as well.

any other tests for bad bearings?

Back