• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bolt Crapped out on me.... NEED HELP!

nightwolf0829

NAXJA Forum User
Well, I went out and tried to replace the front pads and rotors on my heep today... I found out that the bottom bolt of the left caliper is stripped... CRAP... Now, does anyone know how i can get this thing out and spend the LEAST amount of cash? Unless someone has donor parts :) Also, i looked at quadratec and such for the bolt, if i can get it out.. But as it seems, they dont carry it... Any ideas? Thanks Guys in advance...

Thanks, :J

nightwolf0829 said:
Well, I went out and tried to replace the front pads and rotors on my heep today... I found out that the bottom bolt of the left caliper is stripped... CRAP... Now, does anyone know how i can get this thing out and spend the LEAST amount of cash? Unless someone has donor parts :) Also, i looked at quadratec and such for the bolt, if i can get it out.. But as it seems, they dont carry it... Any ideas? Thanks Guys in advance...

Thanks, :J
I would use heat and an ez-out, napa will have a new bolt.

Get a "Heli-coil" or other type threaded insert,drill tap and install.That was done on mine several years ago.
Wayne

I tmay be a different bolt, but if it's the one that takes an allen wrench and sits in a rubber sleeve: cut the sleeve off and get it out with locking pliers. NAPA sold the bolt when my friend had this bolt stripped on his XJ and we got it out this way.

jfiscus said:
I tmay be a different bolt, but if it's the one that takes an allen wrench and sits in a rubber sleeve: cut the sleeve off and get it out with locking pliers. NAPA sold the bolt when my friend had this bolt stripped on his XJ and we got it out this way.
Yup it's that bolt, ill do that then... That is a kick@$$ idea... Thanks!

:J

Theoretically, they're supposed to keep dirt OUT. They're grease boots for the caliper bolts, and they are supposed to hold grease and keep contaminants out, which will allow the caliper to slide ("float") back and forth on the bolts.

They usually need replacing about every other brake job - more often if you're really dragging them through the dirt.

5-90

Back