• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RockyRoad lifts(I did search "crash")

LT1

NAXJA Forum User
Does anybody have any experience with Rocky Road Lifts other than the rockrails. Are their products as good as they say? How about their 3 inch lifts? Thanks in advance

LT1 said:
Does anybody have any experience with Rocky Road Lifts other than the rockrails. Are their products as good as they say? How about their 3 inch lifts? Thanks in advance

The RRO kits are Old Man Umu lifts with budget boosts on top of them. Their 3" lift is an Old Man Emu kit, and widely renouned as the best lift kits out there...

be aware that their shipping department has issues, and sometimes it takes about a month to get items...

I would shy away from the RRO budget boost add on's for their 4" and 5" lifts, and i would make DAMN sure you are getting OME shocks, not the RRO house brand shocks...

the product is good, dont expect good service...

I don't know how people feel about them on this board, but others that I post on absolutely hate RRO. I've never had experience with them, but their customer service is supposed to be horrible. People have ordered budget boosts from them that never arrive. Their "steprail" rockrails system has been known to have a lot of development flaws and doesn't really protect against rocks as they are designed to do.

I purchased their budget boost - 1 3/4 front coil spacer, 1 1/2 lift shackles, 1/2 inch blocks, and bar pin eliminators. The only negative issue I had was that one of the shackles was slightly twisted (maybe from the welding...). It was promptly replaced with one phone call at no charge.

I actually did not use the shackle & blocks and instead went with a RE full length AAL.

I've got a set of the rocky road shackles on my MJ to give me an additional 1" of lift. The quality was good and everything bolted up just fine. I had to take some of the paint out of the holes to get the bolts to slide through. Next to the stock shackles these things look like they were built for a tank.

I never actually spoke with the company (ordered online) and didn't have to rectify any problems so I don't know how their customer service is.

Matthew

Thanks fellas I'm not quite sure what to do. I dont have the funds but love the offroad heh? Maybe i will get that coffee can out and start saving for that Rusty's 3 inch lift with full leaf packs.

I installed the RRO BB today. Everything seems to be of good quality but the bar pin eliminators did not fit on the front too well. Had to do some grinding to get both bolts in.

I have there 4" (2" OME, 2" spacers/shackles) Anyway everyone who rides in it can't believe how much better the ride is than stock. Plus it flexes great even with spacers on the front. However they took a month to arrive. But everything from the barpin elim's to the shackels were excellent and the OME stuff speaks for its self. Just my point of view.

saltilloxj said:
I have there 4" (2" OME, 2" spacers/shackles) Anyway everyone who rides in it can't believe how much better the ride is than stock. Plus it flexes great even with spacers on the front. However they took a month to arrive. But everything from the barpin elim's to the shackels were excellent and the OME stuff speaks for its self. Just my point of view.

This is exactly what I'm thinking of doing to my rig. I went the AAL route after buying the RRO BB because I was afraid the longer shackles would quickly kill my already shagged leaf springs and I wanted to get another year or so out of them.

What year is your rig? Also, at 4", what "extra's" did you have to pick up for the front end? adjustable track bar, sway bar disconnects, etc?

I put their BB on my wife's XJ about a year and a half ago.It improved the ride quite a bit.Didn't have any shipping or service problems.

What year is your rig? Also, at 4", what "extra's" did you have to pick up for the front end? adjustable track bar, sway bar disconnects, etc?[/QUOTE]

Mines a 90' 4.0 AW4 NP235 I did home brew discos and the lift came with the track bar but strangely on mine it pushed the axle out to far the other direction. (Passenger side) So I took it off and went back to the stock one for now. I had no bad vibes and after the alignment everything works great. The car flexes great the springs are really nice and the rear shackles add to that flex. But the best part is that the ride is even better now. Since this is also my DD that was a priority to consider. By the way their shackles are very beefy.

Sheepdog said:
...but the bar pin eliminators did not fit on the front too well. Had to do some grinding to get both bolts in.

grinder + RRO BPEs = been there, done that. ;)

it's kinda a shame, 'cuz i like some of their products (like those BPEs and the shackles) but
i had my share of customer service issues which left a bad taste in my mouth. if i weren't
handy w/ a grinder or didn't have access to one, i would have been SOL when those BPEs
showed up the day i was to leave for EJS (2 weeks late from the promise date).

i think the record shows you will be taking chances... so guess it depends if you like to gamble!

:D

I liked their BPE's too. Welded em up in the back, but still have the fronts. They dont fit without grinding. I'll sell em to someone who needs rear replacements. They don't fit OME shocks well at all. (not many BPE's do though.) I used the OME Bar Pin the front as it's an awesome engineered product anyway. NO real need for a BPE with OME Shocks.

They were slow in sending things out, and communication could be better. Seems like they have been hanging on to that old review of their product/s for quite a while now. Nothing much new from them.

Rocketman said:
NO real need for a BPE with OME Shocks.

well, that's not entirely true... they're useful for tweaking shock length when you're dialing in
compression/extension.

;)

terry

Back