• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

wimpy XJ help

earthtiger

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all,
One of the Cherokees I own is a '96 "sedan" 2WD.
I was wondering how complex would it be to find a Cherokee of around the same year, take the tranny, transfer case, and both rears, and install it on my '96, thus making it 4WD.
Does anybody have any ideas, opinions, or advice?
Besides taking it out in the woods and using it for target practice? :D
It has the 6 cyl. high output motor w/ automatic transmission. She still has some life left in her (82,000), and this is something I could take in the sticks without worrying about the paint gettin' messed up. I was thinking of turning it into a trail ready rig. Thanks to all.
john (I can't believe I own a 2WD Jeep)

How nasty is the terrain you plan to take on?

If it's not terribly difficult, you could probably get away w/ just a rear locker. Much cheaper and easier than trying to convert a 4x2 to a 4x4.

Steelerfan said:
If it were me I'd just sell the Cherokee that you now own and buy a 4 wheel drive one.

I agree, unless you really wanted to build it up right.

Forget OEM XJ stuff, get an Atlas II case and custom drive shafts, Front and rear D44 from a waggy. That should cost you around $3000-4000, but you'll be way better off than finding a stock 4WD XJ.

Conversion is all bolt-on parts. You need a front axle, transfer case, 4WD tranny (or swap out the tailshaft on your 2WD tranny), transfer case shift linkage, and both drive shafts.

It's easy to say "Sell it" but even tough yours has very low mileage, it's old enough that as a 2WD it won't bring peanuts if you try to sell it. I think it's worth converting. Where are you in PA? Sounds like you should be planning a trip to Harry's.

Thanks for the comments, people.
I thought about it some. I do have a '98 Cherokee that I was gonna build a trail rig out of.
But this '96 is kinda "expendable". I can chop it up if I want. So I think it would be a better candidate. Something to be proud of, kinda.
Eagle has the same feelings about this as I do. A 2WD is worth squat. So the thing to do, is build it. Then later, if I decide to sell it, it may actually get sold.
I used to spend alot of time out there at Harry's when I was scrounging for CJ parts. Believe it or not, but I lucked out there with some rears off a '78 CJ5, same ratio as my '79 CJ5.
And, it's not a long trip at all, considering I'm from Hazleton :D It's about 7 blocks from me.
There are XJs for sale here from time to time that are parted out, or just have blown engines, usually advertised in the "paper shops" and classifieds.
I'm not really concerned about the driveline assemblies, but actually the wiring harness etc.
Is there any concerns in that area that I should look out for? I've been told that I needent worry about vacuum, as when Chrysler took over they axed the vacuum actuated sliding collar thing for the front axles.
If you think about it, it doesn't seem like a whole lot of work. As long as I have all the parts at the ready.
Thanks much to all!
john

I've (finally) got all my parts together for a 4WD conversion on my MJ. The truck is up in PA, just outside of Johnstown, and I'll be going up on weekends to work on it...a fun summer project for me and my brother, who lives up there.
Like Eagle said, everything is bolt-in and not too complex. Your axle should be a non-disconnect, so you don't have to worry about any vac lines. I say go for it..it'll be something to be proud of when you're done. Shoot me an e-mail if you're ever over in the area, maybe we can meet up and I can show you the parts you'll need (and you can help me too :))
Jeff

What i'd maybe do-

What one sometimes does when doing a rather extensive modification on one vehicle is to buy another complete doner vehicle that has the parts you need. The price of a wrecked XJ doner may be your most cost effective solution too. This will also make sure even all the little pieces will be there...and nothing more agrivating than to have to deal with that stuff!! And maybe you could keep or sell the engine (if good) and other stuff from the doner to help make up some difference. Is what i'd probably do.

I'll throw my hat in the ring. Build it for Jeepspeed East Coast. A lot of the guys out west use a 2wd for Jeep Speed the series just had it's first East Coast race this past weekend. Check out
jeepspeed.com
extreme4x4.com
call Currie Enterprises for info.

Just an idea. If it was mine. I would do it. You can always convert to 4wd. but to race would be great. Less weight with the 2wd up front. Juice

hmm, I too have a 2wd XJ and it is a '96. I bought it when I lived down in Florida as it was supposed to go to the Florida Highway Patrol. It's got a "stock" roll bar in it that is bolted to the floor and I have added quite a few performance modifications to it. I didn't know that JeepSpeed has made it out to the east coast but I am definitely going to look into it! I know they have some pretty tight rules and regulations but that would be a blast!

thanks,
Jamie

There's a guy on the jeep speed selling all the 4dw stuff out of his 1990 XJ. Thought that might be useful!

-Jamie

I'm familiar with Jeep speed. Some really tricked out suspensions there. Not really what I'm looking at doing though. I like to take it slow and easy. You know, enjoy the outdoors. :)

jeepthing, thanks for the offering, but I have a vehicle lined up. Again, thanks.

btl_fed_xj, I acquired this Jeep in GA, myself. What's up w/the south? :)

Jeff in VA, I'll keep you in mind. I like to check in on you and see how your doing with your MJ project, from time to time. Maybe give me a heads up on something you might find interesting.
thanks all
john

earthtiger --

The vacuum disconnect axle was used only with Command-Trac transfer cases through about 1990 or '91, after which Chrysler stopped using it. Unless you really REALLY need the 4WD idiot light to tell you when you're in 4WD I don't think there's any wiring involved. The transfer case operation is all mechanical.

Eagle,
Yes, I figured that out in one of my old Jp mags. But thanks for the reiteration. You're motivating me.
I guess I'm gonna go for it. I'll record the entire episode and post pics here as I do it.
Thanks!
john

Back