• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New steering wheel?

Hi! This is my first post here at NAXJA.

Head on over to http://www.grantproducts.com

Ok, you want a steering wheel ring. This replaces your ring with a new one and they have a few different styles. Click on Products then Airbag Solutions then Airbag Styling Ring application chart and then find your make an model!

I hope this help man, ROCK ON!

Steelghost said:
Hi! This is my first post here at NAXJA.

Head on over to http://www.grantproducts.com

Ok, you want a steering wheel ring. This replaces your ring with a new one and they have a few different styles. Click on Products then Airbag Solutions then Airbag Styling Ring application chart and then find your make an model!

I hope this help man, ROCK ON!
That would have been extremely helpful if they made any for the pre-97 models. :mad:

Thanks anyway. :thumbup:

Starscream918 said:
That would have been extremely helpful if they made any for the pre-97 models. :mad:

Thanks anyway. :thumbup:
Did you try calling them? Perhaps they omitted it from their website (currently out of stock?). Maybe they can refer someone that does have your year?

Welcome SteelGhost! Enjoy the ride! :sunshine:

I got a Grant woodrim wheel as a present from my wife last Christmas - along with the boss kit to match and it's been one of the best mods that I've done so far. I'd definately recommend checking out their line up of steering wheels to suit your tastes. IMHO, it's a very easy install, and a definate update over the factory wheel.

Quarterwave said:
I got a Grant woodrim wheel as a present from my wife last Christmas - along with the boss kit to match and it's been one of the best mods that I've done so far. I'd definately recommend checking out their line up of steering wheels to suit your tastes. IMHO, it's a very easy install, and a definate update over the factory wheel.
You have a '93 according to your profile, and you say you got it from Grant?

Good to know, I'll try giving them a call.

Yep - if you check out their website, they've got their full range of wheels and adapters there to check out - and they are a lot cheaper buying direct too (although I'm not sure where my wife got mine from). Just quickly, you'll need to get a steering wheel puller from Autozone (or wherever) - I think I paid about $15 for mine.... it just makes the job so much easier to do.

Good luck,

Quarterwave

Quarterwave said:
The 93 doesn't have an airbag, or built-in cruise controls.

Totally different animal.

Starscream918 said:
I have the stock '96 steering wheel with the horn and cruise control buttons.

The leather on the top 1/2 is becoming thin and is starting to tear.

Anyone know a way to fix this? Re-upholstery, new wheel, what?

Thanks...

Welcome. Anyway, Its a 96 so it has the airbag and the 2 horn buttons right? I like the stock wheel on a 95, so its the same, myself so I would try to replace w/ the original. Mines in excellent conditon so far, I take good care of the jeep, I've got around 150k so I would look for a good used one first, junkyards, ebay, etc. Oh, and autozone features an XJ steering wheel assembly on their poster advertising special order parts. If you look at the wheel, its 2 pieces right? An outer ring and an inner rectangular piece, which is the airbag assemble. If you find one that has popped the airbag for example, you can switch out the center piece to the new wheel. Read up carefully on the subject before messing with any airbag components.

Hey, sorry didn't get your name, but I have a 96 with the same problem. Drove me nuts. First, I tore off the whole leather cover on the top rim, which exposed gray foam. Not bad if you get used to the gray look. Finally, I installed a Momo Monte Carlo steering wheel $215 with install kit. Love it, but it was a major bitch. I deleted my air bag (airbags suck and are for wimps, not to mention dangerous) and move my cruise control panel under the steering column(had to rewire, not that bad). Worst part was making the horn work. I had to fabricate a metal ring that spun with the wheel and always contacts a metal terminal on the column to keep the horn, or you could just move it to a toggle switch on the dash. Anyway, if you are prepared to tackle all this, go for it. The after market steering wheels are so much cooler and more fun to drive with.

bajacalal said:
Welcome. Anyway, Its a 96 so it has the airbag and the 2 horn buttons right? I like the stock wheel on a 95, so its the same, myself so I would try to replace w/ the original. Mines in excellent conditon so far, I take good care of the jeep, I've got around 150k so I would look for a good used one first, junkyards, ebay, etc. Oh, and autozone features an XJ steering wheel assembly on their poster advertising special order parts. If you look at the wheel, its 2 pieces right? An outer ring and an inner rectangular piece, which is the airbag assemble. If you find one that has popped the airbag for example, you can switch out the center piece to the new wheel. Read up carefully on the subject before messing with any airbag components.
Welcome? Huh?

Anywho, thanks for the advice. I'm going to AutoZone tomorrow for some floor mats, so I'll ask 'em.

Jackhill442 said:
Hey, sorry didn't get your name, but I have a 96 with the same problem. Drove me nuts. First, I tore off the whole leather cover on the top rim, which exposed gray foam. Not bad if you get used to the gray look. Finally, I installed a Momo Monte Carlo steering wheel $215 with install kit. Love it, but it was a major bitch. I deleted my air bag (airbags suck and are for wimps, not to mention dangerous) and move my cruise control panel under the steering column(had to rewire, not that bad). Worst part was making the horn work. I had to fabricate a metal ring that spun with the wheel and always contacts a metal terminal on the column to keep the horn, or you could just move it to a toggle switch on the dash. Anyway, if you are prepared to tackle all this, go for it. The after market steering wheels are so much cooler and more fun to drive with.
$215?! I'm not sure if I'm looking to spend that much, and plus, with as much as my hands are nasteh, I dunno if I wanna put 'em on that kinda wheel.

Thanks for all the advice, guys.

My 96 had the leather wrapped wheel, it was in bad shape. I just went to the junk yard and bought one from a cheaper style cherokee that was solid rubber, I personaly like it better as it doesn't wear like the leather one.

Last I knew Grant wasn't selling wheels to replace the airbag wheel in XJs, but they were selling some sort of cover for the outer rim. That would cover up the deteriorated part of yours for a lot less money and work than fabbing up an install for a wheel that's going to delete the airbag and move the cruise controls.

Or just go to Pep Boys and buy an oversized leather steering wheel cover. They have one that's for larger (fatter) than standard wheels and it works well for putting a new leather cover over an existing leather cover. It's a lace-on and it looks very nice if you take the time to lace it up carefully. And it costs less than 20 clams.

Still waiting to see if anyone has sucessfully installed an aftermarket steering whee on a 96-01 XJ.

read Jackhill442 post about 5 up. I did it on my '96 country, and I love it. go to the momo website, they have some very attractive and tasteful wheels. I think it is worth the $220 or so that you must spend on wheel and install kit. You have to be pretty good at Jerry rigging though to get the cruise and horn working again. read my post.

I bought a wheelskins brand cover for my 96 and it is great. Only downside is spending the hour to sew it on. I think it was 30.00 on ebay.

So, what install kit did you go with form MOMO. Only one I can find is the 2401. I already have a wheel I purchased for another vehicle. Sold the car, like the wheel too much to sell. Gray Trek.

Thanks
Jason

Do you have an upholstry repair shop near you? You might wanna swing by there and let them look at what you've got. I used to know a guy near me who ran and auto upholstry shop who could sew miracles with leather into interiors of cars. I'll bet someone could re-leather your wheel for less than the aftermarket wheel with all of the headaches.

Just a thought.

Who wants stock? Not me. Can't stand stock.

Hold the wheel. Feel the wheel. Become one with the wheel.

Back