• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Can somebody do a horn check for me?

tetsulo

NAXJA Member #1239
I was driving down the street and saw a friend of mine walking on the sidewalk. I blipped the horn and nothing happened.

found that the horn was bad. (tried cleaning contacts/ground first). Replaced horn with new one and blipped horn -- nothing happened. Went through testing from steering wheel to relay -- could never get relay to click.

Put it all back together disgusted (and mystified). While I was reassembling, I had the key in ACC position to listen to radio.

Hit the horn out of frustration and it worked.

Horn works while driving or with key in ACC. Horn does not work with key NOT in ignition or off.

I don't think I have EVER tried the horn without the key in or inserted but in the off position. Can someone confirm that theirs works or doesn't when vehicle is off?

I have a 1990 MJ. I thought that horns were always supposed to work (as long as battery is good) regardless of position of ignition switch.

All other functions in vehicle work normally.

Thanks!

Matthew

I went and tried mine, and to my suprise it doesnt work at all.... Sorry Man... BTW, which side is the horn actually on the truck? I may also need a new one...

Key on in my '86, '87, '88 Comanches, and '84 to '90 XJ as well as '93 Grand Cherokee. (air bag scares me in that one!)

nightwolf0829 said:
I went and tried mine, and to my suprise it doesnt work at all.... Sorry Man... BTW, which side is the horn actually on the truck? I may also need a new one...

One on each side behind the headlights but down lower. There's a flap in front of the wheel that you can undo to get to them.

On my MJ, I think I only have one (horn). On the driver side behind the flap. I didn't see one around the vacuum ball...

Thanks to everyone who weighed in...It's wierd the things you never pay attention to...

Matthew

Last edited:
On my 85 wagoneer the horn only works when the key is turned on or if the jeep is running. If I turn the key backwards it does not work.

Kim.

thanks everyone........I have been bustin' my brain over the horn not working in our 88 xj. Never dreamed it would have to be turned on.

one less thing for me to worry about this year.

thanks again.

Okie Terry said:
Mine never works, regardless of key position.

Ditto... and thats not a bad thing. I find myself trying to honk the horn in diffrent situations, and then realize I should not tried to honk.

:gonnablow

It would just make matters worse sometimes.

My horn doesn't work at all. Saw this bumper sticker the other day.

Horn broken - - - watch for finger!

Sorry, couldn't resist! :wave:

Back