• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

more info on starting problem

azdesertrhino

NAXJA Forum User
After reading some more posts I found with a search under different terminology I jumped a wire from positive of battery to the starter solenoid. Engine turned over. Put key to "on" position and tried again and engine cranked right up. I guess I'm still at the "either starter solenoid or ignition switch" crossroads. Any input of how to narrow it down to one or the other or just go buy a relay and hope for the best.

I appreciate all that have tried to help in this situation, I'm sure learning as I go!! :wave:

get someone to turn the key while you test for voltage at the solenoid trigger wire. make sure it's disconnected first just in case.
If you get voltage when the key is turned it's the solenoid.

Don´t really know if this is relevant or not. But the starter relay in the wifes 96 (export OBD I), has a relay in the underhood relay box, for the starter. I remember mixing and matching relays for a test on hers. The wire that comes out of the fuse/relay box (under hood), plugs into the standard solenoid wire a couple of inches from the fuse/relay box. Good place to test for current during a start try. The wire from the fuse/relay box, to the solenoid wire, is pretty darned small. Looks like a likely spot for a melt down, if the solenoid shorts.
Her solenoid wire, fatigued inside the insulation near the solenoid. It has a really neat hookup for the starter, but the wire seems stiff. If all else fails, you may want to have a look at the solenoid wire. Hers was stretched pretty tight, looked like soembody had rerouted it, without thinking it through.
Your 94 may be wired differently than her 95/96.

Thanks for the input. If things don't get better soon (READ: if I can't figure this thing out!!) I'm going to run a momentary switch inside the cab and run it that way for a while. Had to take my mom to emergency room this afternoon and spent the rest of the day there. She was released but has some issues to deal with. Will be back under the hood in the morning!! :wave:

Thanks,

My 96 did almost the same thing the other night.

Try to start, no click no soleniod stutter, nothing. Whacked the soleniod repeatedly with a shovel, no change. Didn't have a VOM, so tried a jump start. It worked. Got it home and turned it off, battery at 13.0V, no change when you try to start, no start.

It's at the shop now......

buying a new relay is only like $7 at Autozone - cheaper than rigging it up with a button, but it's handy to rig up a button for under the hood starting when you are having starting troubles.

PlainWhiteXJ said:
My 96 did almost the same thing the other night.

Try to start, no click no soleniod stutter, nothing. Whacked the soleniod repeatedly with a shovel, no change. Didn't have a VOM, so tried a jump start. It worked. Got it home and turned it off, battery at 13.0V, no change when you try to start, no start.

It's at the shop now......

Starter. $200. Done.

Back