• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Baking painted parts in your oven

You know it's done when you stick a toothpick in and it comes out clean.

Double Down said:
I know some of you have done this out there, so let's you paint a piece of metal and you want to give it that baked finish, what do you put the oven at and how long do you keep it in?

What's your steps, tips, tricks, etc.

Thanks,

Chris

Depends upon the paint that you are using. I usually bake at 350°. When you hear you honeys car pull up, you need to remove the parts whether they are done or not. Do this quickly. Women do not understand cooking painted parts in their oven. Trust me on this one.

HTH

Jeff-97XJ

Hope you aren't married. Wives have a wierd problem with guys who do that. Heck, mine got upset when I washed a carb in the dishwasher. Personally I don't go quite that high with the temps. Some of the new paints get a bit finicky. I tend to hold it about 250 for an hour or two.

420 is where I do my powder coating at.

Step one: Make sure the wife is not home or expected for an hour or so.
Step two: Remove any unnecessary racks. Preheat to 350.
Step three: Cover the rack you left in with good tinfoil or keep a couple of baking pans hidden in the cellar and use them.
I borrowed the wifes baster to top off the batteries with distilled water in the cars. Sheesh, she went out and bought a new one now when I work on the cars and make a trip to the kitchen she's on me like white on rice.

Back