• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help me with my 8.8 install (measurements and brakelines)

thisfirstlove

NAXJA Forum User
So im getting ready to weld and gear my 8.8 and put it under the ol xj. im wondering if someone who has already put one under their xj could give me the measurements as to where they put their spring pads and shock mounts. I just want to make sure it is as centered as possible. Also, what do i need to adapt my jeep brakelines to the ford rear disks?

XJ_ranger said:
you dont have an axle there now?

wouldnt measuring off that one make sense?

http://www.jedi.com/obiwan/jeep/ford88.html
read it

read it again

sleep with it

make it breakfast
excuse him. He always posts this link.

Best and easiest is to first mount it up, apply weight to the springs, tack weld it, take it off to give the good welds, and then mount it for good.

As for brakes, it depends on how much original hardware you have. If none, get 2 passenger side hoses, 2 hardline sections (one long, one short), and use your T-line and breather tube.

I had some very knowledgeable NAXJA members help me (big help) with my 8.8 swap last month and I can pass on anything else to you.

kubtastic said:
excuse him. He always posts this link.

have i met you?

i am friends with the autor of that link - and he outlines the weight on the axle method...

:shrug:

am i going to meet you at carnagefest?

No, we haven't met. But in my searches on this site I think this link appears 20-30 times. it sounds like you worship that guy... like how your signature is a suck-up to some more senior member

Last edited:
kubtastic said:
No, we haven't met. But in my searches on this site I think this link appears 20-30 times. it sounds like you worship that guy... like how your signature is a suck-up to some more senior member

what?

senior member?

eff that.

i just saw Urban Redneck's post and thought it was cool...

here - ill change it for you...

and Ben and i are friends and helped to devolop that site (and im kinda proud of it)

Nice edit in the post by the way...

then let the games begin ranger!
No on your festival, but if you really want I'll make a stop in Nor*Cal for you on monday

Last edited:
kubtastic said:
then let the games begin ranger!
No on your festival, but if you really want I'll make a stop in Nor*Cal for you on monday

waht time monday?

i will be off work at 1:00pm

wanna get together and grab a bit to eat and insult eachother face to face?

or are you scared of the "Displaced MWC member"?
thefinger.gif

drunk.gif

clip1.jpg

Notice that the soft line at the caliper end points backwards. This limits the mounting options, so what you can do is grind away at the caliper to take away this limitation.
also, it sucks that the upper caliper guide pin faces my leaf springs, preventing the use of my ratchet set.

kubtastic said:
also, it sucks that the upper caliper guide pin faces my leaf springs, preventing the use of my ratchet set.

Gotta love ratcheting wrenches!

When I put mine in, I ran my soft lines up over the rearsprings. Pass. side works out nice if you leave the u-bolt a little long and get another nut for it, to hold the bracket on. Driver's side was a little harder, but it worked.

Last edited:
allright, ive found a yard that will sell me the rearend for $250, and im going for it soon, is it worth it to buy the anti-wrap spring perches, or will i be ok just using the origional ones.

wolfpackjeeper said:
allright, ive found a yard that will sell me the rearend for $250, and im going for it soon, is it worth it to buy the anti-wrap spring perches, or will i be ok just using the origional ones.

Here's what the stock ford perches look like next to something meaty..

DSCF0011.jpg

Get them for about $20-$30 shipped
from these guys...

http://www.greatlakeoffroad.com/

Last edited:
thanks, thats a way better price that what i have seen, since those are bigger are they considered ant-wrap type, i figure that just means that sice they are bigger they have more leverage on the spring. what bout shock mounts, get them from the same place

Back