• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Starting problem

azdesertrhino

NAXJA Forum User
I've searched the forum and tried things mentioned but nothing seems to work.
Went to start my 94 XJ 4.0 with Automatic Transmission yesterday. Nothing happened. All electronics appear to work fine, radio guages etc). Engine never even tried to turn over.
Came in, searched the forum and everything appeared to point to the NSS. Although one thread recommended putting the battery charger on it, which I did. (I was reading 12.3 volts with no drop in power when I turned on the ignition).
Went out later, the battery charger still on, the XJ started. Removed battery charger and started the Jeep several times. Went out this morning, started the XJ, drove it around the neighborhood and returned home, shut it off, tried to start it again, nothing. Still reading over 12 volts.
Pulled the NSS, cleaned it and reinstalled. Checked continuity according to FSM and have continuity between terminals B & C. Put XJ in reverse and back up lights come on BUT the XJ will not start. Does not turn over or even try. I really can't afford to have a shop handle this or worse the Stealership. Would appreciate some heads up on what to look for.

thanks in advance,

Last edited:
azdesertrhino said:
I've searched the forum and tried things mentioned but nothing seems to work.
Went to start my 94 XJ 4.0 Automatic Transmission yesterday.

i wasn't aware you could even start a transmission :D

How about a size 15? :laugh3:

Yucca-Man said:
Didja find the results that said "whack the starter" to get it moving? Starter replacement...http://www.yuccaman.com/jeep/starter.html

I did look at a thread that talked about "hit it with a hammer". I thought that if the starter was seized it would cause a high amp draw and a voltage drop. Maybe this isn't true in D.C. electricity, I mainly work with A.C. motors and that's the way they act. Getting ready to get my hammer out and go gently tap on it!! :gag: I'll let y'all know in a few minutes!

Mine did the same thing a few weeks back. Had my g/f with me and we had to hoof it home and get hers. Then it was hammer time. New starter did the trick.

Well, it's gone from bad to worse. Went last night and got the new starter. Up at 5 a.m. this morning and put it in. NO START!! Rechecked neutral safety switch, still have continuity between B & C. Back up lights on in reverse. All other electronics appear to be working properly. Fuel pump, radio etc. Waiting for someone to come by so I can check for voltage at the starter when switch is in start position but feel like I'm not getting voltage to the starter for some reason! Where else can I be losing it. Had hope to go wheeling today but sure doesn't look like it going to happen unless I get this figured out in a hurry!! Any help would be appreciated.

TIA,

Ignition switch seems to energize everything else, would it just leave out the start sequence? Would the start relay from a 90 be the same as a 94? I could pull the relay out of my wifes 90 just for a test. Don't want to just start changing parts until I find the problem, could get real expensive. Already have a new starter I apparently didn't need, but I don't have to worry about it for a long time!!:wave:

azdesertrhino said:
Ignition switch seems to energize everything else, would it just leave out the start sequence? Would the start relay from a 90 be the same as a 94? I could pull the relay out of my wifes 90 just for a test. Don't want to just start changing parts until I find the problem, could get real expensive. Already have a new starter I apparently didn't need, but I don't have to worry about it for a long time!!:wave:
I don't you got both there so just look and see.
The power path is from the "battery+",to the "key switch", to the "NSS", to the "start relay", to "starter" you should try to test voltage at the "start relay" when you turn the key to start.
If you get voltage the relay is bad, if you don't the move the test back one item at a time untill you find where your loosing it.

Last edited:
Back