• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Yet another no-start/no-fire.....

ChiXJeff

Curmudgeon
NAXJA Member
A week ago, I'd talked a friend of mine into driving my 92 XJ back from my folks to Chicago so I can sell it.

A hundred miles back, it dies on the freeway. No warning, complete no fire. Gotta be the CPS. Ended up driving back to the farm and borrowing my brother's pickup and flatbed trailer to haul it back to Chicago. Got back at 6:00 AM Monday morning.

I put a new CPS in on Thursday night, and still no fire. Whoops.... should have checked for fuel pressure. None. The relay is fine, but it keeps blowing the 30A fuse is less than a second. The fuel pump is probably shot (150,000 plus miles.)

I don't have time to deal with it, so I dropped it off over the weekend (I hadn't rolled it off the trailer yet) at Lou's Sales out in Geneva, the service guy said they could probably look at it late today or Tuesday.

I've already gotten the call! Turns out that somebody had misrouted part of the O2 wiring loom and it had melted and shorted out against the exhaust manifold.

I've seen a few no-start threads recently, and thought I should probably drop this in for other stuff to look at.

hey...... i think you may have helped me out with my non-starter i gave up on.... there is a pigtail next to the tranny under my 87 that had melted to the exhaust... it is a new exhaust and without much thought i dismissed it as the connector for a second O2 sensor that the new system didnt have.... and never looked twice at it...
what happens with the connector? melts and shorts out? what was the fix, new connector? this may be my big break...
mike

'87s never had a secon o2 sensor ... Shorting the O2 heater supply on an '87 that's been fitted with a fuel-pump balast resistor can drop the voltage out to the pump...

is the '87 automatic or manual and what does the connector look like (and where does it's harness route to/from)?

sidriptide said:
hey...... i think you may have helped me out with my non-starter i gave up on.... there is a pigtail next to the tranny under my 87 that had melted to the exhaust... it is a new exhaust and without much thought i dismissed it as the connector for a second O2 sensor that the new system didnt have.... and never looked twice at it...
what happens with the connector? melts and shorts out? what was the fix, new connector? this may be my big break...
mike

I'm running a little short on time, and had somebody else fix it. This particular wire was up near the front,somewhere near the p/s pump.

Jeeps didn't get the second O2 sensor until OBD-II around 1996. Pigtail next to the tranny...... that may be the 4wd indicator, reverse switch, etc.

Still, clean up where it's melted and make sure that *ALL* of the fuses are good.

That's the first thing one should check is all the fuses. I have seen more than a few misrouted wiring harnesses melt on the exhaust. Also the wires near the distributor can rub through or get cut. Sounds like the exhaust manifold was replaced and someone didn't notice where the wire was suppose to go.

Back