• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'98 front wheel bearing Q's

jlex

NAXJA Forum User
I'll be needing to replace the LF wheel bearing on my '98XJ soon... it's the kind with the bearing in the "hub" or "carrier". My questions are:
1. Do I have to replace the whole unit (bearing + hub) or can the bearing be pressed out & new ones introduced to the assembly?
2. If I have to buy the whole unit, where can I get a good deal? The local parts place wants $185; the stealership just quoted me $267. Any suggestions? Thanks.
jlex.

you'll end up buying it as a complete assm.

pressing it in and out, and getting the parts will probably cost you more in tylenol, and time than it's worth.

You must recall wrong. :wave: They are $140 for TIMKEN assemblys at AutoZone.

Advice: I changed both of mine in the past 5 months.
PB BLASTER might as well be your mistress. You two will get real close duing this install. In other words, start spraying those bolts down right now. There are 3 12point bolts behind that are more than likely rusted on. Also spray the big 36mm nut that holds the assembly on.

hope that helps

Last edited:
Nice...that's *koff-koff* even better. Still ridiculously friggin' expensive though. Shop around.

Back