• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transfer Case Dissassembly

Rocketman

NAXJA Forum User
I HATE having to run to the store to buy a tool or a part halfway into doing something.

What SPECIALTY tools night I need when installing a SYE on my 231. Specifically removing/installing the yoke. Yoke holder tools, big breaker bars etc...

ALSO... what has a tendancy to break on a 231 when tearing it down? (Northern 93)

I'm installing the SYE in-place on jackstands. Any experiences would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Rob

Rocketman said:
I HATE having to run to the store to buy a tool or a part halfway into doing something.

What SPECIALTY tools night I need when installing a SYE on my 231. Specifically removing/installing the yoke. Yoke holder tools, big breaker bars etc...

ALSO... what has a tendancy to break on a 231 when tearing it down? (Northern 93)

I'm installing the SYE in-place on jackstands. Any experiences would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Rob

The only thing you may not have that you will have to have is a good set of LOCKRING PLIERS, NOT snapring pliers.

Everything else is common handtools.

Oh, and tube of good RTV.

HTH

Last edited:
Have fun doing it under the jeep.... Not! Pull it out. It is sooo much easier to do it on a counter top. Just a few bolts to seperate the tcase from the tranny and no fluids from the tranny to worry about. :lecture:

Also, when splitting the case use a prybar or flat screwdriver in the slots designed for the splitting. Don't wack the case or try and split it anywhere else, you will just mess the alum. up. Other than that it is an easy and kinda fun upgrade.

6ft. and 170 lbs.

For me it is just easier to have everything at waist height and laid out clean. No bending the head, no dropping crap in dirt, no fubling for tools, no dirt falling from the jeep.

I guess to each his own right?

i just did mine last weekend, i think the yoke nut is 1 1/8 or 28mm, it is not that hard to do, i had to buy a grinder and cutting wheel to cut down the vac. rod so the new housing would fit, i got the PORC kit.

yoke is 1 1/8, I use a pipe wrench to hold it why I take it off....If you don need to dont take of the second part of the housing on the main case because that has the oil pump in it and it is a pain to get everything lined up again....

Rocketman said:

Thanks in advance.

Rob

Tools for SYE. I highlighted your search terms ;)
Billy

OK then... perhaps pulling it make sure things go back together better is the best bet??

Any alignment issues to sweat if I pull it? I am a big guy and I'd prefer the bench over laying on my back. Gives me a chance to polish it up too!!!

Last edited:
AHH....yes. Nothing like benchpressing an NP231 off your chest. Even more fun is holding it up there with one arm while tring to get at least one nut started........Good times.

xjcrawlr said:
AHH....yes. Nothing like benchpressing an NP231 off your chest. Even more fun is holding it up there with one arm while tring to get at least one nut started........Good times.

First off, it is not that heavy. Secondly, no one said he was doing this alone...

I was going to do it alone BUT I do have a couple jacks as well as my jackstands. It's only like 70 pounds isn't it?

NOT something I'd like to drop onto my face however.

All you have to do is remove all of the nuts that bolt the tcase to the tranny, it has studs in the tcase to keep it up there. When you are ready just slide it off. No trouble. :wave:

Once you have it down you can clean everything better, you can see anything else that need's work. You can test it on the bench before you throw the power to it.

There are a couple of dowels that line the case halves that are tight, be careful where you pry, there are protrusions for prying, don't pry any where else.

I did mine while still under the jeep. I have 5" of lift with 33's... so that helped. I would have never thought that it would go so easy. I had the sye installed in a few hours. That included running down to autozone to get a seal that was missing. I would have had it up and running that night except I wanted to let the RTV dry all the way.
Oh..and a word of advice... there should be a donut shaped magnet in the bottom of the housing, over by the drain/fill holes. Since the casing is aluminum there is a good chance it will come out during disassembly and cleaning. Make sure you put it back in before you rtv and assemble the case half. Dont ask how I learned my lesson. Other than that...piece of cake.

Justin

langer1 said:
Once you have it down you can clean everything better, you can see anything else that need's work. You can test it on the bench before you throw the power to it.

There are a couple of dowels that line the case halves that are tight, be careful where you pry, there are protrusions for prying, don't pry any where else.
X2 :wstupid: Very important.

Back