• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Quick Opinion...231 or 242

brokexj

NAXJA Member #1165
JUst picked up an 89 with the 242 t-case. I also just p/u a 231 SYE kit for a very good price. I can get a 231 for 100 from the Pnp (maybe less) and have the front driveshaft already, or would it be better to keep the 242 and get a H&T/adapter/driveshaft? Been searching and found this (correct me if wrong)

Pro's (231)
More aftermarket support
Easy to upgrade
Cons
Don't have one
Little weaker than the 242

Pro's (242)
Have one
Little stronger than the 231
Con's
Full time 4wd
Doesn't like lunchbox lockers in front

BAsically, trying to find the happy medium, not adverse to having a spare tcase around, have one SYE already, by no means a hardcore wheeler.
Looking at around 6", 8.8/D30,4.10's, 33 MT/R's.

I never have a need for fulltime 4 wheel drive on the pavement. Even when there is ice and snow the rear trac loc gives me plenty of traction. I have a front lunch box and get no ill effects from the locker, but it has the disco too so that is the real reason you only hear it on real tight turns. My son has a lock rite with the 242 and he gets quite a bit of noise and popping. Doesn't seem to bother him though. Kind of makes his steering tighter feeling too. It would drive me nuts.

231 is stronger unless you do the HD/AMG upgrades to the 242.

Some would say FT is a pro given 2WD is still available.

The SYE for that vintage 242 costs more than the PnP 231. But you don't know what you getting with PnP parts.

If you want a really strong t-case without a lot of money, go with a 231D from a 94 up Dodge half ton, but it needs a SYE, long output shaft. Or if you take a gearing cut you can get an early 80s Jeep full size 208. They bolt right up. The 231 has a 2.72:1 low range and the 208 has a 2.61:1 low. But it is already a SYE case designed for a much heavier truck with V8 power so you know it will hold up to anything you are gonna throw at it. They came in Big Cherokees, Waggys, J10 and J20 trucks up through 87 when Chrysler quit making them in their infinite wisdom.

The 231 is a stronger case but not by much. Yes the is less aftermarket support but you can still get a 4 to 1 gear set for it and there are hack and taps available. or you can get the replacement shaft from JB (stock shaft cut down.) I have a242 and love it. living in new england the full time comes in handy on those days where it is snowing but not enough to warrant going into PT. You could sell your SYE and get a H&T for the 242. I do wish the aftermarket would recognize what a good TC the 242 is behind an 4.0 and AW4.

My personal opinion is keep it.

Back