• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

chrysler 9 1/4" axles

Hey guys,

I also have this 1977 Dodge Power Wagon (full size 1/2 ton pickup) thats equipped w/ a Chrysler 9 1/4 rear axle. It looks like the axle in later xjs (8 1/4) but its a 9 1/4. Its got 4.10s I think I'd like to know:

a.) How strong is this rear end? Esp., how strong in comparison to a DANA 60? The 60 was used on full ton or 3/4 ton power wagons.

b.) Is this useable on an XJ? This is why I posted it here. Oh, its SOA.. Not that it is something I am considering...yet..., but would it be good for someone wanting to run large tires, lockers and low gears. The reason I ask, is that Dana 60s seem to be cheap (see non-tech forum) and I'd want to know if its practical (if its a substantial upgrade in strength or if anything is weak in the ChryCo axle) to toss a D60 under there???

Last edited:
Re: chrysler 9 alxle

ECKSJAY said:
WTF else do you want to know???
I'm trying to figure out if there is a question or something more to his statement :D
<edit> when I posted my reply there wasn't as much text in his post :D All that was there was what I quoted.

Kejtar said:
I'm trying to figure out if there is a question or something more to his statement :D
<edit> when I posted my reply there wasn't as much text in his post :D All that was there was what I quoted.

I know, I saw. ;) Love the game. :D

bajacalal said:
Is this useable on an XJ? This is why I posted it here. Oh, its SOA.. Not that it is something I am considering...yet..., but would it be good for someone wanting to run large tires, lockers and low gears. The reason I ask, is that Dana 60s seem to be cheap (see non-tech forum) and I'd want to know if its practical (if its a substantial upgrade in strength or if anything is weak in the ChryCo axle) to toss a D60 under there???
I would look first what aftermarket support there is for that axle: replacement shafts, R&P, lockers. If those are scarce or non existant, no matter how strong is the axle, I would not worry about it as there will be a point when you will want a locker, deeper gears and so on.

I built a 9 1/4 chrysler and found that it isn't that well supported by the aftermarket, especially if you would like to narrow it or at that time convert to disc brakes. Disc conversions are more available now.. I've read several articles about this axle and they said it's more or less a 3/4 ton item but not as strong as the D 60.

Back