• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Poly Bushing Install Going BAD!!!

bzdel2441

NAXJA Forum User
I bought the daystar greasable rear poly bushing kit for my 89 Jeep Comanche. And I cant get the bushings pressed in correctly. They just dont fit the bushing is bigger than the hole... Its like they dont fit at all. It is the correct kit though, part numbers match and everything. What am I doing wrong?? Do I need to remove the outer metal sleaves?? I know on the control arm kit it says reuse outer metal sleaves but it doesnt say anything on the rear kit, and it didnt come with instructions... Any ideas?? Here is a pic on how it is fitting...
site1065.JPG

Thanks
Chris

BTW it wont press in anymore... It looked good until I went to instert the inner sleave, then it went to hell...

I replaced the control arm bushings on an XJ with poly replacements. After removing the control arms (one at a time, or you won't get the axle back into position readily), I burned the old rubber bushings out with a propane torch (outside). Heat the metal shell until you can slide the bushing out. To get the new ones in, clean out the inside of the metal shell (still in the control arm). Put the poly bushings in the freezer overnight to contract. Warm the control arm to expand it. Rub the lube on the poly bushings, and hammer them in- goes fine. Mine were Energy Suspension brand. The issue was getting the axle into position for the control arm reinstall- I borrowed a 3 foot long pipe wrench from work, clamped it on the axle, then jacked up the end of the wrench to position (rotate) the axle.

If you look he is working on leaf springs and shackles. Anyways yes you need to remove the steel sleeves on the leaf springs and the shackles. I am amazed you got the bushings in there. They are a pretty tight fit without them in there. Hope the helps.

are you sure the OMEs use a different size bushing? i was under the impression that you had to use your stock bushings in the OMEs. am i way off?

i am curious also how important it is to use the OE size bushings. could i get away with leaves from another vehicle of the same width provided they are long enough? i assume the jeep front bushing is huge because cherokees require extra isolation. there is a part from afco racing i would like to use but it is sized for chrysler leaves.

Back