• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

question on my tranny cooler..

Justpunchit

NAXJA Member #1291
i just bought a tranny cooler from my work (auto zone) and im looking at it and im kinda woundering how i would go about installing this like where would the best placement be. and also the tranny line with that fitting am I gonna need a special adapter or can I use the supplied hardware. can anyone help me?

I would run it seperately from your radiator, as the autos create a lot of heat.

You can either use the zipties provided, or make some custom mounts out of flat stock.

You should be able to use the supplied stuff, but may want to pick up some extra hoseclamps to double clamp your lines.

Fergie

what about the factory line... theres only on going into my radiator. wheres the other one? and will i have a problem with that line.. its a weird almost like pressure fitting

You've got a threaded factory line, and a compression fit factory line.

If memory serves, the threaded line is the feed, and the compression is the return.

Fergie

one last question i promise heh.. is it tranny fluid flowing through it or coolant?

Last edited:
Tranny.

The trans runs through the rad in a seperate set of tubes. You'll want to cap the the feed line and the return line openings on the radiator, and run your cooler entirely seperate from the rad.

Fergie

Don't delete the cooler thats part of your radiator. The tranny produces a lot of heat and coolers are not designed to cool it independently, unless its really big, say about the size of the a/c condenser. It will not sufficiently cool the tranny. Instead, route the tranny fluid to first pass through the radiator, then to the aftermarket cooler for additional heat reduction. Then back to the tranny.

bajacalal said:
Don't delete the cooler thats part of your radiator. The tranny produces a lot of heat and coolers are not designed to cool it independently, unless its really big, say about the size of the a/c condenser. It will not sufficiently cool the tranny. Instead, route the tranny fluid to first pass through the radiator, then to the aftermarket cooler for additional heat reduction. Then back to the tranny.

Xj's without towing only have the stock cooler inside the rad. I can't believe that this one would be sufficient, but an aftermarket less than the size of an ac condensor wouldn't.

Fergie, keep in mind where he is. Here in AZ (even Flag) it doesn't get THAT cold. Cold enough I mean to need an engine block heater. Justpunchit would be better off plumbing it inline of the return so he could still have the warming properties of the radiator in the winter.

Crawlr- Flag gets down below zero for a good week, spends most of the winter in the high teens and 20s at night, and sometimes doesnt get above 40.

I have ran both set ups with my XJ, and have had no problems with the tranny on either. He wil be just fine running them seperate.

Fergie

yeah last winter we hit -15. so i think im gonna keep my rad in the system I'll do a full write up with pictures while im doing it... does anyone for sure know which way the flow goes?

Back