• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lowside a/c port

Jeepster4wd

NAXJA Forum User
this is my lowside a/c port correct? im planning on doing the r134a conversion. what is the large metal piece sticking out of the port?

9istaf.jpg

on a 93 cherokee.

The easiest way to tell is to trace the lines - the low side port will go to a line that runs to the firewall (it comes from the evaporator). The high side port will go to a line that runs to the condensor (in front of the radiator).

lol langer i just posted those videos. it has a S near the port so its suction right as in the low side port? D is for discharge for high side? i thought most r12 system had a shreader valve type setup. i cant figure out what that little bar is inside the this so called port?

That's a valve. You have to open/close the valve in order to load 134a. You actually screw it IN about 2 or so turns to "open" the input valve.

Chrysler put those valves on most of their compressors. No one uses them anymore. Be sure to shut it. (counterclockwise) after you load coolant.

Some systems have the Schrader valve on the compressor service valve sort of like a tee, those systems you need to screw the service valve in a little to open the Schrader valve, don't turn it too far or you will shut off the compressor. I don't see the Schrader valve in that picture. Look at one of the lines coming from the condenser

jeesh why cany chrysler ever make things simple lol. so how would i go about putting on those r134a adapter fitting to it. does that valve need to be removed? or just placed over it. im kinda confused so you have to turn it to open it but once u start filling it how do u close it without letting anything back out because as soon as u take off the hose wont it leak out? or am i thinking of this incorrectly.

There are two adapters in the kit. The longest one goes into your suction port over the top of the schrader valve. The other one is kind of a preventer, to keep you from plugging into the wrong port.

ID makes a 90 deg adapter, my 89 was the same way. You can also buy a piercing valve that clamps on to the low-pressure tube, in a convenient location for recharging.

oh i under stand now those are like the valves to open and close.the not the actual port were u fill with. the smaller ones that are facing towards the rear of the jeep are the high and low ports correct.

Jeepster4wd said:
oh i under stand now those are like the valves to open and close.the not the actual port were u fill with. the smaller ones that are facing towards the rear of the jeep are the high and low ports correct.
The connector that looks like a tire valve is what your looking for. The low pressure side will be the one that's on the biggest tube.

Jeepster4wd said:
so do i need any special tool to open that valve or just use like a cresent wrench or something
No special tool needed. A open end is best though, if the cap is missing like the picture get one for it.

Back